Basic Tradintional Drawing Lessons
(04-24-2021, 02:47 PM)JosephCow Wrote: The boxes are good. A lot of people start with that, you're right. I think it's an accessible exercise where it's easy to see the ideas behind it. I think you'll get way better results with combining that kind of thing with drawing from life, or reference. sure, you can draw 100 boxes floating around, but you won't really know if they are good or right, unless you have some concept for what right looks like, you know?  Especially for your comics, you need to know what lots of different stuff looks like.  You build a sense of solidity and believability in drawings by modeling them after how the real form looks and sits in space, not by just repeating your own notion of things, or someone else's, and that applies to things as basic as a box, or even a sphere. That's just my opinion on that.

I don't really believe in a prescribed course, like a weight lifting program, where you go day by day, and do reps of certain kinds of exercises. Art is more about absorbing ideas, than grinding and leveling up. It's like that to some extent, since your eye improves and gets stronger over time, but it's not really a simple thing where you can follow a program in order and get good after a certain number of studies. I know that's kind of a shitty answer since you want to know what to do specifically, but I just don't want you to think that on day 1 you'll draw some boxes, and on day 5 you'll draw some people made out of boxes. I'm doubtful it will work out like that.

So ideas on what to do specifically: https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library I recommend these lessons. Scroll to 2 and 3. He offers explanations of each basic drawing exercise and gives assignments.
I do recommend Ctrl paint it as allow me to create a good summary of what inside each of every fundamental and how to expand and aswell as gather a few drill exercise and how to extrapolate from those exercise.It also probably the most well made free serie on the art fundamental in a easy to acess all in one menu which really have help me develop a well rounded view point which is important in being able to understand what you leak or need to revisit.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Tradintional Drawing Lessons - by darktiste - 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM