Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Hey man! Cool sculpts going on in here, and it's refreshing to see someone work in traditional 3d, nowadays it's mostly zbrush and modo, and I think clay is more...for real, if you know what I mean.

If you're into that I'd recommend checking out the "hands for drawing" http://www.posemaniacs.com/tools/handviewer/ app of posemaniacs , use those basic models as ref and see what you can refine further or add into them, it would make for a nice practice.

On the 2d department I would suggest to relax a bit when you draw, specially after reading the tendinitis issues. I had the same issue of being too stressed over how I wanted my drawings to look and trying to get everything right, and thus in the end the stuff comes out a bit stiff or with overthought lines. Sometimes they're too heavy or too uniform, and values aren't too clearly established, and that tends to hurt the drawings. I say all this because I had all that shit happen to me ( it does happen sometimes still) and the best solutions I found to mend the problem was basically:

-In a relaxed way use your light touch a lot, until you're sure you like the result and have a mirror at hand to "flip" the drawing and check out how it looks there every now and then to get a fresh perspective on it.

- Once you're happy with the base structure start with the stronger lines, trying to use a predefined criteria on where to put the strongest ones , I found that using them in places that overlap and points that touch each other ( occllusion ) give the best rresults , it's also an iteration process, trying and trying until you're happier with what comes out.

- After having most of the basic lines and structure pinned down think on how much time you're willing to devote into putting in the values. If you're not feeling like spending too much time go for a simple render that just hints at the basic shadows with the terminator ( core shadow) outlining the form and a one value shadow , with some gradients here and there.

I don't know if this will help but it did help me quite a bit into getting rid of some issues I had with all this stuff.

Anyway, cool stuff man, keep it up! :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Suira - 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM