Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Hey-ho
I'm actually going to pop in and dispute that...!

Arms and wrists are pretty vulnerable, but especially when it comes to stuff like artistic line weight and a "dynamic" quality to your drawing, drawing from your shoulder is the best bet. You can make all the marks you need to outside of the smallest details using your larger, more distant muscles. In addition to not damaging your arm, you get a more dynamic line by doing your variation in a single stroke. For me, I would choose something softer like 2B - 6B or whatever suits your fancy, and do both your lightest and boldest strokes with that. Well, I mean I go straight with ink 90% of the time....

In any case, for dynamics and injury avoidance, drawing from your shoulder is the best thing to do. But what Construction said is also totally valid, it come down to what you like best. Personally, I don't like to tool hop so I like something that can do the whole job on its own. Anyway, it's all up to the artist!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Vicianus - 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM