Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
I actually thought you probably knew about it (since you've been drawing for a long time) but I wrote out that much anyway because I think it's good to review the basics and it's nice to make it as easy as possible. I hope I didn't offend you!

All the practice you do is great, but I'd also be wary about having a mindset where you stop considering the basic visual principles because it's more of a shorthand while you observe the form and understand it more in your head. Mileage is great, but drawing a lot will only get you so far; practice making an unclear image is practice to make an unclear image, regardless of whether you understand how to make it better or not.

I know I say things that can be blunt or offensive a lot, so I hope what I'm saying doesn't come across maliciously or talk-down(y)? I love watching you progress, so I'm rooting for you and want to see you make big leaps!

As far as lighting goes, one thing I haven't seen in any of your work is the specular highlight. You tend to block in the light masses, but this approach is losing some directionality and dimensionality. Having your brightest specular highlights clearly places in the image will help solidify the direction the lighting is coming from and define the peaks of your forms.

Keep it up! Nice update.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Vicianus - 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM