Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Looks good, man! I always like seeing a bunch of traditional figure drawings in a sketchbook. I would however recommend you try and upp your game a bit with how you approach your figures. I see a bit of slacking here and there. Try and pay more attention to things like hands, feet and how the head sits on the shoulders. Getting those things down right really adds a lot to a drawing.

A lot of your drawings look fairly quick and while that certainly has its value, I think that you learn more from the 1-3 hour drawings where you just focus on outline. By taking your time and making sure you get an exact drawing, you become very intimate with the human figure and your eye develops to be more accurate. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think you should give it a try ^^

If you do life drawing sessions, see if you can get longer poses and either use the comparative method or sight size to make sure you get a very accurate drawing. You may also want to look at some of Charles Bargue's figure drawings from life. They're an excellent guide in how to approach a figure. Something often done in classical drawing is to first only use straight lines so you can more accurately establish the foundation of your subject (you'll see a lot of this in Bargue's drawings). I personally have found it very helpful but it's not the only way to do it :)

One last thing: I'm not seeing any anatomy! Get your butt a book on the subject and get studying! Anatomy really helps your figure drawings. I'd recommend Artistic Anatomy by Paul Richer. You can't really go wrong with one of the classics. Consider avoiding stuff like Hogarth, I see a lot of people studying his books end up with very inaccurate and wobbly drawings.

Anyway, keep on working hard! Hopefully I didn't come off as smug or anything ;)

Discord - JetJaguar#8954

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Tristan Berndt - 07-09-2015, 08:22 AM