What dwells below (driving me bonkers!)
(03-29-2014, 08:10 AM)monkeybread Wrote: Nice work on the lighting, and you have improved it from the first iteration. I do prefer wardy's composition more. It is much more dynamic and really draws you into the piece and gives you a sense of scale and drama. I know this is hard to hear, but I think if you do your current lighting scheme and render with something more like his composition it could become a great folio piece. At the moment, the composition is bland and not helping your story.I also feel you are wanting to jump ahead to rendering before solving remaining issues.
This is a good two-fold lesson....
1. Doing thumbnails to really nail the best presentation of your idea really cuts down on all this repainting business,
2. Sometimes you have to be willing to hack up your piece even in more advanced stages if it is not working as well as it could.

Really consider it, you could just use warp tools to hack your current render into a better comp. Anyway it is up to you. I know i would do it.
Oh and in terms of the palette, I would consider bringing in a little bit of complementary colour and some variation in palette to make it a bit richer. A little can go a long way. Good luck

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm taking a step back and trying to incorporate the suggestions and starting over with a more engaging composition. I think my biggest issue is not doing thumbs, I just sit down and start drawing til there is something to render out (makes for terribly static imagery, it's something I'm going to work on, a lot! :D haha) these critiques are truly helpful, I feel I'm stuck in a way of doing things because I have been doing the same thing for years. Got some new books I'll be reading on dynamic lighting and poses. I was thinking about getting some comic-composition books for tips and inspiration.

I'll work on finishing this and I'll keep all the tips and suggestions in mind from now on, and I'll do loads of thumbnails! :)

Quick pencil sketch.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What dwells below (driving me bonkers!) - by astrosim - 03-29-2014, 07:04 PM