JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Irish Whiskey Thanks man! Thanks for the encouragement! I know pixelovely, it's a great site ^^

John Thanks too! I'll be doing another of those flower vases in class this week, hopefully I can apply what I learned from my mistakes : )

Sagi Haha, yea it seems a bit strange practising lines with ruler, it's part of a training program from a book and that was the exercise that day. The lines at the top of this page are all freehand, so I practise that too. Cause it's a nib pen that you dip in ink, there is some skill element with the ruler, and learning how to avoid getting ink on the page and smearing it (like I did in today's one) is important. But it's still quite easy for someone who draws already. The point of it though, is to lead up to stuff like this, which is Saturday's exercise:

which is possible freehand - I even saw some guys do it with a brush and keep all the lines tight - but it's super hard. So most of the manga guys use rulers for that kind of stuff. Thanks for commenting! hope you come back again : )

Rshin  Shin your comment really warms my heart! Such nice words thanks so much, you really made my day <3 The nib pen training has been soooo helpful, I would definitely recommend it - they also really really helped my digital drawing too since I think it's a similar thing, physically, with the sensitive pressure and needing to draw lines quite fast. I can post up the full set of exercises if you want to try it. As for my comics, I probably never mentioned to you, but that is my goal to be a comic artist, so right now I'm practising that stuff to learn a good process. I'm just doing short comics based on writing prompts from Scott Mcloud's "Making Comics". I'll post them all on here, might be a while til the next one's done. As for hands I started to find it much easier taking Glenn Vilppu's advice and going with a four fingered cartoon hand, makes it really fun and I can focus just on pose and making it look solid instead of worrying about all the joints and proportions and stuff. The plan is to build up to realistic hands when I get more consistent with them. Really thanks again so much, I feel totally buzzed to keep going after reading yours <3 <3

Today's pen training, parallel straight lines with a ruler (week 2 day 2)

More inking practice over quick heads (5 min heads this time, makes for a much better result)

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 04-27-2016, 12:44 AM