JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Kurt & Adam Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. Heads have always been a weakness for me. With the human body I feel more comfortable and although not incredible results, when I am drawing it I feel more confident putting it together and moving stuff around when needed, or I can see the mistakes afterwards. With heads I don't feel like that, don't feel so much in control so I create a kind of formula for constructing a cartoony head and follow that. I do do regular skull studies, asaro head studies, face rhythm studies and practice, and have whole sketchbooks filled with stylised head drawings from reference and my own trying to analyse and use their simplifications, trying out different methods and approaches, boxy, spherical, cylindrical, different methods for placing the eyes and forming the sockets (which is probably my biggest weakness on these, along with expressions). These are a few pages, at points over the last few months: (I know these are not good, just a snapshot of my sketchbook) [Image: vsFYD6W.jpg] I have tens and tens of pages of these. I felt like I was really getting somewhere with my recent characters, with Yoko above and the ones the girl with the black trousers and jumper above. I felt like they had some charm and appeal to them. The head -> body connection felt good, they didn't seem warped and the eyes seemed to sit back enough into the sockets and wrap around the head. I know they are not fantastic but I felt like I was onto something, or at least could do the heads well enough to get started on my comic. Totally lost my confidence with this stuff following the recent revelations. I will go and do the portrait mentorship, it looks like it will be good for me. Feel pretty down today but will keep drawing!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 06-02-2016, 01:35 AM