JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Eyli Glad it was useful! Thanks for the link, I definitely need to practice that stuff more.

Zip Thanks for the encouragement dude! Didn't notice I'd hit 30 pages, I guess that's an achievement of sorts : )

Adam I'm not overwhelmed, just not as confident with heads. It's good advice you gave, I've been told it before and have always acted on it and gone back to study further but at some point the training wheels have gotta come off and need to move onto more designed stuff - as long as you bounce back to it every now and then I don't think there is a point where you can say you're ready / not ready to branch out.

Muzz Nah I've had those experiences before, what confused me about these recent comments is that I haven't got any decent heads in my sketchbook for a while, my heads are weak but my focus has been on inking. I assumed people knew that, I guess it's rarely good to assume, so I figured everyone was referring to my post #573, which was kind of a milestone for me and I was really happy with it (far from pro standard but for me it's a huge achievement). I looked at it over and over, in the mirror, upside down and just couldn't see where the head was going really wrong. I got some crits from other daggers on skype and they felt the heads were ok (as in structurally ok). So I feel better now and totally agree that my other heads are weak. That they are inked didn't mean I thought they were solid and finished, just inking practice.

John Thanks dude, I did a few 'fun with a pencil' drawings and they were fun to just relax and see what comes out, I'll try and do those more often. I will do a model sheet like you linked too, I was kind of planning to but seemed to have forgot along the way, so thanks for the reminder!

Decided to knuckle down and spend a bit of time with heads. I put anatomy study on hold for a while and my goals now will be mainly about expression (on top of getting good solid heads). Just some kind of warm up stuff to get me back into it first:

[Image: Pfn4iw6.jpg]
[Image: yoV3vee.jpg]
[Image: dh8iyHP.jpg]
[Image: kuMUeCS.jpg]

Next one is from about 6 months ago, its only a few centimetres big, but putting it to show that I can do a solid head from imagination when I'm in the zone. Far side eye is not good but it was really tiny, looks ok at real size.

[Image: Acbed8x.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 06-10-2016, 12:17 AM