JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Mieksta Thanks for the comment! I do write some of it, without having someone relying on me I don't think I'd ever get it done. It is tons of work and the reward is so far away >.< not quite as masochistic as solo animation but it definitely makes you grind! Totally agree with your crit too, I decided now is the time to work on that stuff!

Making a new goal to get better at spotting blacks in backgrounds and characters/painting with shadow shapes/making things read as black and white only.

Did a couple character illustrations from reference first:

In the anime style one, in the end I think the version without the background works best, I felt like it wasn't really adding anything. Other people have said they like the BG version one tho so idk. I count them as moderate successes anyway, the character shadows worked out ok, but the black and white BG it's not clear if those are mountains/trees/something else behind her. Will probably do some pure environment studies to tackle that.

Next part of the training is to get a similar level of finish when not working straight from a single reference. Sketched out a couple of illustration ideas that I'm planning to develop so I can work on the shadow shape stuff in this kind of situation.

Decided to turn the characters into Zelda and Link because why not, it was looking too much like a stock photo before >.<

Some kids on a slide to prepare for more blacks/shadow shape training.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 11-03-2020, 01:30 AM