JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Zorrentos Thanks for the overpaint, idk if it's worth your time on that scrappy thing but I appreciate it anyway! I'll keep those things in mind.

Chubby Cat Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep going ^_^

Darktiste Thanks for pointing out that error! Totally didn't notice it until you said, I do understand it was really just a blindspot from rushing the piece! Thanks for the wise words too, definitely got to use failure as a catalyst for future success, I agree totally!

Artloader Thanks man! I did try to write my own stories before, I think I can write ok-ish, kind of on a level with my artwork but I found it just sooo hard to keep going with the project when it's just me. Initial enthusiasm devolves into crippling self doubt, lack of consistent feedback and encouragement and no one to keep me accountable and keep going. Sounds kind of depressing when I put it like that but just recognising that I don't really see things through unless there's another person in it with me. I tried 'starting small' and getting just a simple strip with a couple of characters going, but haven't even managed to get much progress on that solo. I'd like to do it and still dream up plans every now and then.

Dominicque Thank you! Thanks for visiting my thread ^_^

Only 6 weeks since my last post, it feels like much longer! Lot of things happened, I found a new writing partner, made a lot of progress but now he's disappeared >.< He may reappear but if not I think I am not going to seek again right now, but spend some time developing my illustration style. I rarely ever make finished work, I've always been of the mind that spending 20 hours to finish something is detrimental for me since I could spend that time making much more progress with the fundamentals. I think this has been the right choice until now, and still I lack plenty in fundamentals but I think that mindset could continue all my life since I'll never feel that I am really ready until I start actually completing pieces.

So, new goals, make finished work, illustrate ideas and pieces that I actually care about and can feel proud of. Push them as far as I can, sink the hours in, redraw, rework parts that are not working, take responsibility for my skill level and don't make excuses that "it's just for practice". Develop a solid illustration process that I can repeat. Properly address my weaknesses. Don't try to figure it all out on my own, take courses, even the expensive ones with feedback from the teacher.

I had this thread going, trying to figure out a schedule to follow that's simple enough I don't need to spend much time thinking about what to do each day: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-9116.html it's been working so far, but changing the goal to finished pieces. I am still unsure about it... devoting so many hours to a single piece buuut, I think I need to do it, so that I can gradually get pieces done in less time. I'll never be satisfied with my comics if I need 20 hours a page to get them where I want them since it's just not feasible to devote that much time to each one (and impossible for me to keep the enthusiasm going to even do that for 20+ pages!)

Here's a big load of stuff over the last 6 weeks, am currently working on Character, Environment, Framed Ink, Painting Studies, Schoolism Workouts and developing an illustration process.

Character Stuff

[b]Environment & Props[/b]

[b]

[/b]

[b][b]Framed Ink[/b][/b]

[b][b]

[/b][/b]

[b][b]Painting Studies [/b][/b](The goal for these was to figure out a manageable background style for my new comic, possibly null and void now, whatever I learned in these may end up lost but all good still)

Developing illustration process (these are experiments figuring out a repeatable process I can use for doing environments/illustrations. Once I get it figured out I'll make a longer explanation of what I'm doing exactly. I got some advice recently though, that suggested instead of doing straight up studies, try to do more imaginative pieces, or photo based pieces 'in the style' of the artist I'm studying, in the last few I started doing this, trying to combine the art reference and the photo reference. The plan is to rely less and less on both and start being more imaginative.)

Finally some WIP stuff of illustrations I am planning to finish:

If you looked through all of these... thanks so much for taking the time ^_^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 03-02-2021, 12:43 AM