JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
@Richie Thanks man, thanks for the tip too, I've got Loomis in PDF form since it's a free download, I'll give that a go, probably most useful if I try to copy any of his detailed figure drawings. Did you try any Bargue drawings? I have some of the pages but the concept sounds kind of excruciating to me, copying those pictures without the slightest variation - I guess I don't see how it's a better way to learn from than what most of us do (i.e. do studies and self-check / critique, do more studies and things start to improve). I'd definitely try it out if it's got merits of its own.

A lot of drawing done today - my parents in law are visiting for a few weeks so I'm pretty much off the hook with supervising the little one (plus she doesn't want to play with me now they're around - they give her too many treats <.<)

Some figure drawing from imagination / memory - trying to remember the life drawing poses I've seen recently and tried to add in and record the kind of important details that gave the pose life.
[Image: Aol2uWt.jpg]

Started a new sketchbook to focus on head / face / portraits / etc. Did the first few pages of Loomis Head & Hands
- it made me realise how bad my circles are, I thought I was ok since I do practice them regularly - I guess when you draw 20 circles and 5 are spot on that's satisfying but when you try to draw one and only have a 25% chance to get it right it's frustrating! (need to get my circles up to 75% success rate!)
[Image: gHeu1jg.jpg]
[Image: Ux2FyOJ.jpg]
[Image: c59vLfo.jpg]
[Image: yUuQrsa.jpg]
[Image: BhxOLYv.jpg]
[Image: Ele1n2o.jpg]
[Image: 8cpZ26c.jpg]

And finally some gestures using this (vine?) charcoal - it says 'willow charcoal' on the box. I really enjoy using it, it leaves marks like a felt tip (unforgiving and dark) but you can use an edge or the flattened bit or the broad side of a broken bit to make different kind of lines / tone.

2 min poses
[Image: C9vh41v.jpg]
[Image: XWfh7jo.jpg]
[Image: Kz3sg7k.jpg]
[Image: O3WJkRv.jpg]

10 min pose
[Image: csp5xkl.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 07-09-2014, 06:42 AM