JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
@Adam cheers dude, things are definitely starting to click after all the careful consistent practice! I took your advice too and got the James Gurney book, started my first studies from it today.

Some direct sunlight studies:

[Image: tv1SjZE.jpg]
The middle photo is from Cartagena in Colombia, the architecture and colours of the buildings is really special. The last photo is a Torii gate from Kyoto in Japan - they are relics of the Shinto religion and there are not too many left I don't think, since (like most of Japan's historical buildings / monuments) they're made of wood and most burned down in various wars / tragedies.

Practice applying it from imagination; concentrating on the direct sunlight, diffuse blue light from the sky and reflected light:

[Image: l0D2lwk.jpg]
I did tweak the levels at the end but only very slightly; usually I yank them around in my colour stuff, so it's much improved already. After doing these studies I can't help looking at the colours and shadows of just about everything around me, judging whether stuff is warm / cool / reflected light / dark or light value. It's really opened my eyes after just one study session. I'll continue with the colour stuff tomorrow.

Tried to replicate the Torii gate photo with conte crayon - it looks pretty nice on paper, the photo really flattens it out and highlights the small mistakes but it's a good challenge trying to do this kind of colour stuff with just a small selection of crayons:

[Image: S6xOhgJ.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM