JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
@Clockodile Yes, definitely the nose - eye area is covered very well by Hampton. With Loomis I was always just kind of 'faking it' and hoping it'd look good, now I understand what's going on. Loomis is still the man though, if only for his inspiring yet humble outlook. Thanks for the encouragement too, been at a bit of a low point with my life drawing so it's great to get comments like this, and you're right about the hands - I keep telling myself that "I'll get to them eventually, for now just ignore them" but I should at least put something there instead of just a shovel type block! Probably it's about time I sat down and studied them a bit, just to get something basic to work with.

Studied anatomy today, working through Hampton still. It's been a day of great frustration - You know when you draw something that feels really great, and looks really cool, but when you try to replicate the method you used you just come up with trash? That's what I've been feeling with my gestures and timed figures - sometimes I just hit something right but when I try to do it again I get ugly drawings.

So, I decided, no more messing about! I need to get to the bottom of my sometimes cool / sometimes broken gestures and figures. I've gone back to good old graphite, which isn't the prettiest medium but it's the one I am most comfortable with, made some notes, a step by step approach for myself to do figures; following Hampton for the main part. I've been practising it with untimed poses - they probably take between 5 and 10 minutes for me to do now, but I'm being really strict with myself, if things aren't right I'm adjusting, even erasing and drawing again - focusing mainly on proportions, since that's the area that kills most of my gestures.

[Image: GvWHs04.jpg]

[Image: Plg3hRN.jpg]

[Image: tuXIVWw.jpg]

[Image: gqLwEfa.jpg]

It kinda feels like I'm back doing basic Loomis Mannikin's again, but I am going to stick with this approach only, until I can get some more consistency - I'm getting serious now!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM