JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
More portrait / head practice, decided to just draw today instead of doing careful studying. My portraits turned out much better than ones I did in the past but they still look sooo dodgy.

[Image: hH1NMpj.jpg]

[Image: BtY6M2d.jpg]

[Image: xg6chBs.jpg]
Was rushing this one so I abandoned it instead of wasting time rendering a wonky face.

[Image: vkHdZKt.jpg]

[Image: 0vvcpwA.jpg]

What's the best way to get better at these?

I'm doing head planes / skull / facial anatomy work - on top of that should I just keep drawing portraits? I can do that no problem, but want to find the best way to improve.

Right now what I find hardest is putting in accurate construction lines and guides to build the features from - my faces look all skewed because my construction guidelines are skewed - I wonder how I can get better at that..?

Life drawing class this evening, it felt really good. Using brush pen for the short poses helped to keep me going slow, so I was more careful and precise when using pencil.

[Image: 7kL80Un.jpg]

[Image: uYC8mLh.jpg]

[Image: rUUWqph.jpg]

[Image: SVhriPw.jpg]

[Image: wzZW0W1.jpg]

[Image: x380Q32.jpg]

[Image: g5JfOho.jpg]

[Image: lRS0QJa.jpg]

[Image: qQo6gWO.jpg]
The last one was 45 mins - it's probably the best figure drawing I've ever done. There's mistakes but on the whole the figure looks nicely proportioned, the twist of the torso is clear (I believe!) and I think the shading looks nice. Managed to keep hands and feet off the page too : )

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM