JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
@Clockodile Thanks for your comment man, I feel like my stuff is improving but usually doubt myself, so getting some confirmation that things are looking better is such a reassurance and a boost! I didn't know that light shining through was called subsurface scattering, thanks for that, and you're right about the texture brushes - when I was doing some pencil sketches recently I found myself unable to think of how to do some certain textures cause I always just pull up a fancy brush and do it digitally - on the positive side I feel like I'm ready to start learning how to apply textures and details, I feel I've got enough of a grasp of the fundamentals to start pushing my drawings further now.

@Jaik Thanks so much man, it's great to know I'm on the right track and not being too OCD about my studies. That's sage advice too, I only half understand the 'why' with colour stuff, so I'm gonna make sure to investigate that stuff properly when I do my next colour studies. From James Gurney's book he says somewhere that the visible colour is a combination of all the hues (colour of object, colour of light, colour of reflected light). In my understanding then, the colour is pushed and pulled around the colour wheel, the amount of push or pull dependent on the strength and hue of the source. But yea, I'm learning more and more each time I look at this stuff.

I've been for a few days holiday and done some traveling to various cities in the last couple weeks; here's some of the stuff I've drawn.

[Image: 94N3zyy.jpg]
View from the beach in West Bay - Dorset.

[Image: kTmllde.jpg]
A local pub in West Bay.

[Image: vLmOy6l.jpg]
From imagination.

[Image: TOAULis.jpg]

[Image: QqlwlMe.jpg]
Another pub, I liked the thatched roof.

[Image: qcVoQ98.jpg]

[Image: K7L2Kg5.jpg]
Fishing boats; I drew tons of these but these ones are the best - was a real test trying to draw this curved shape with the tilted cabin in perspective - result is so-so but my perspective drawing got a boost.

[Image: 7hxh3La.jpg]
Something from imagination - trying to re-create the thatched roof from my observation drawings.

[Image: jUWgm7A.jpg]
A pirate sack-boy; drawn under supervision from my friends 5-year-old.

[Image: BzqaNz0.jpg]
Landscape of Exeter - the rolling hills of England. I couldn't get the depth to be as spectacular as the view itself; the small hills in the top middle were really far away, I wasn't able to capture this too well - using darker value in front and lighter behind could help, also the tower on the far away hill looks the same size as the signal tower on the railway, which doesn't help the sense of scale). I was quite happy with how the tree / bush rendering came out, although I need to find a way to push the detail more to get the message across more).

Finally some gesture stuff since I've been back:

[Image: 7mtzXCb.jpg]

[Image: i0NmzFR.jpg]

[Image: y7eUNOk.jpg]

I've identified perspective and heads & faces as my two weakest areas at the moment, so I'm going to be spending more time working on these. I've done about 10 pages of various head notes and studies and am making great progress. I'll post an update on that next time.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 08-18-2014, 11:38 PM