JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
If you really want to get better at hatching Id say study the techniques of some of the masters at hatching. If you type in "Frank Frazetta inks" in google image you can see some of the best ink drawings ever imo. Pay special attention to how he controls the thickness of each mark, where he decides to have the pointy end versus the thick end and the way he uses hatching not only to convey form but to show movement and direct the viewers eye.

Also I'm not a big comic book guy but I've noticed you hardly see a lot of cross hatching. I think its very hard to make cross hatching look good which is why you mostly see one directional regular hatching. Like on that last mech drawing instead of using spaced out cross hatches to show a middle tone, try using closer spaced hair thin single hatches. Of course Im no expert so take that bit with a grain of salt.

One more thing though, check out the youtube channel of that guy I linked you at the top of the page. He focuses primarily on traditional ink drawing tutorials.

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by Adam Lina - 08-25-2014, 09:20 AM