JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Hand is still trashed so spending my time studying more about colour.

Experimenting with mixing two colours, wet on wet watercolour:

[Image: HAxOdJp.jpg]

Next, I wanted to better understand the colours I have - my Sakura Koi set has 24 colours, using James Gurney's book, blog and a few other web pages, through a bit of grinding and a bit of trial and error I managed to map them all onto a colour wheel (the background colour wheel and the colour swatches are just a visual aid, the positions should be accurate but the actual value/hue/saturation is not):

[Image: 0EtisrC.jpg]
Sakura Koi Pocket Field Sketch Box - Colour Mapping

So with this I can make a gamut mask to choose which colours to use in a painting.

[Image: Foo3mx7.jpg]

Did a quick colour test. I just used any colour that fell within the triangle, I didn't use the three corner colours as my subjective primaries and mix everything from that - I wanted to get some more 'brightness' in there that I don't get when my colours are mixed). Just playing around to get more familiar with my paints - also I'm not trying to match the colours from the photo, just want to make something nice and harmonious:

[Image: YnnYau6.jpg]

I quite like the test, so will redraw and paint it a bit cleaner. The green windows look weird - I used the coolest colour in my triangle, thinking it might make the windows look more blue subjectively but it didn't work that way. When I repaint it I will just darken them more with hatching and use a darker mix of the grey used for the ground and other shadows (cadmium red + viridian mix).

Let me know how I'm doing - still very new to traditional painting and colour mixing.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 09-10-2014, 08:32 AM