JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
I dunno mate, Jeff Watts is a great artist and teacher but he does come across a bit arrogant at times. I've been fooling around with watercolour for a few months now, it is a difficult medium - one wrong move can screw up your painting - but that's part of the appeal, it's quite an intense experience that forces me to slow down and think carefully about what I'm doing. I started using it because it's a cheap alternative to copic markers for comic book style colouring but am enjoying it in its own right now. It's also a great medium for doing street sketching and outdoor work and it is relatively self contained on my desk for when my toddler is charging around (apart from a jar of water there's not much she could cause chaos with, paints are dry in solid blocks most of the time). It really adapts to your skill level too - I can make a nice line and wash that relies more on my drawing skills and slowly improve over time getting more bold with the paint, doesn't need to be some kind of vivid portrait done entirely in watercolour right away - I find it really fun to use. Thanks for the advice tho, maybe I'll try out gouache sometime.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 11-23-2014, 08:41 PM