JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Ben Cheers man, thanks for looking over my stuff. Was thinking recently that I need to do more imaginative stuff to apply these studies - I'm on it!

Until now I've mostly done gestures from reference photos, going to start doing it from imagination too. This article really helped me: http://drawingseeing.blogspot.co.uk/p/ge...awing.html - close your eyes and picture the pose while drawing. Before when I tried to draw gesture from imagination it came out stiff and unnatural, closing eyes and visualising really makes a difference.

Did an experiment, trying two different gesture approaches - one page from reference, one page from imagination for each style. I'd appreciate any feedback over which style looks stronger / more dynamic / more interesting / clearer.

1st approach - Hampton-ish style (approach the gesture more analytically and place the 3 parts of the spine, then weight bearing leg, then other limbs, then add ribcage and pelvis and cylinders for limbs).

From reference:

[Image: hamVyZW.jpg]

From Imagination:

[Image: jCossM9.jpg]

2nd approach - more spontaneous, start with a single line of action from head to toe, then without really lifting the pencil off the paper just go wild trying to capture the pose, no set rule or routine, looking very often at the reference. (I've been doing so many Hampton gestures recently though his method kind of kreeps in):

From reference:

[Image: czogPoc.jpg]

From imagination:

[Image: ZvJ1tcz.jpg]

Let me know what you think looks best, I'm pretty sure I know which one I think but would appreciate feedback!

Creature invention for today - really scrappy, rushed, overall not great and with a blurry line from scanning! Trying out conte crayon:

[Image: 67bAf4S.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 11-30-2014, 04:59 AM