JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Lale Merci beaucoup ma chère!

Foxfire Thanks for checking on my new stuff! I'll try not to overdo it... although I am all or nothing type of person <_> I'll try to be careful ^^

Heads weren't working for me today, it's really elusive, sometimes they feel ok other times nothing at all... switched to some digital work for a change, thought it was about time I started to tackle values. Some studies of Bierstadt and Caravaggio followed by trying to apply some of their lighting and composition principles:

[Image: 4vnsmx1.jpg]

[Image: d8sMdhc.jpg]

I never realised how sensitive values were at the lower end of the scale, like most of the variations are just 1 or 2 percent apart on the white -> black scale, with very huge jumps up the scale after 15%. No wonder my stuff before looked so washed out.

I gave up on trying to do my illustration traditionally, I just don't have the skills yet, so I switched to digital as well. Watching Caisne do my paintover really inspired me too. Painting over my thumbnail from above, still WIP, still not so sure about the values, I tried to limit myself to ranges of values from the Bierstadt paintings for the fore / mid / background. I did a quick gradient map over the top just to see about colour, I quite like it.

[Image: WUduHFP.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM