JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
It's cool to see you're studying your perspective but I don't see any referencing going on. Particularly with the villas. If you place a figure you can project it back anywhere on the HL and reference pretty much everything else...like, everything! There's no question or ambiguity then, I don't have much to go by in your studies. If you're not setting scale throughout the entire painting, when it comes to finishing it you will realise things might be too big or too small and it will be too late. You've got some pretty big doors, normal doors are 30" x 80" in America. So set a door, say it's 36" x 80" and base everything else from it by estimating or actually measuring with increments with a flat measuring line/ruler.

With your buildings if you compare some of those windows or doors to the pillars you will notice there's a strange size difference, how big is that door? It's pretty big in comparison to the pillar but the pillar must be pretty big if it's holding up a large piece of architecture. Perhaps you're thinking about this in your mind but I thought I would point it out just in case as I think this could really take your perspective forward.

I'm not sure if you're trying to do curvilinear perspective but it's lopsiding your architecture. I would suggest learning everything there is about 1 point and 2 point before going into 3 point and curvilinear pers. Also the ellipses you're dropping in for the pillars don't match up with the square bases, same goes for the cars. I think it would be extremely beneficial to spend at least 3 months studying core fundamentals of perspective drawing to get the basics down. You're studying how perspective works in relation to direct light which is great obviously, but you really need to know how ellipses and angles work from flat space first. It's all about the flat diagram before projecting anything into space! That way you can set the exact angle you need. Get Scott Robertson's book on how to draw as I can't explain it because it would take forever and it is even longer to understand.

I tried to do two paint overs. I know they're just sketches but you're not measuring in any of them, your clean version of the building with the stairs is less accurate in comparison to the sketch because you're still following the vanishing points that don't match up, that includes the ground planes and the auxiliaries. Perhaps that's because you're estimating, try to do full perspective studies otherwise you will never be able to guess accurately. I suggest doing full perspective studies of cubes for hours everyday until you can guess what a square looks like in any given perspective for 1 and 2 point. Make cubes out of cardboard and master it, then add more. Once you can estimate a cube you will be able to estimate everything! Then you can move onto doing more primitives in space like prisms. I don't think you should move onto drawing objects just yet.

There's definite improvement in your sketch book! But all throughout your perspective studies are super duper sloppy, you need to get those down with razer precision because when one thing doesn't work, you've probably gone wrong on something 10 steps ago. Finding out what went wrong and re doing it is where you learn. If it's sloppy then you will never find the problems. Because with perspective everything can be done right and there aren't any excuses for failures. In professional work you wouldn't care as much though. Unless you're an architect or something. You where even thinking about the cone of vision for one of your very early studies but then you sort of stopped measuring it out, you need to consider the cone of vision for everything you do.

You have to be pretty bored to read though all of that :) I hope there's something in there that helped

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by milkdose - 03-04-2015, 08:31 AM