JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Kurt Hey man, yea you can use just one value for the shadow shapes or some people who work in charcoal just outline them (using hard or soft edges depending on the type of shadow), then if you push the drawing further you can work in the correct values. The point for me though, is that doing it this way I've found I've been learning a lot more about the figure by focusing as much as possible on just the shadow shapes. Like in the last gesture page below, in the top right, she is on her toes so her calf muscle is engaged (which I did know from anatomy study, but when I tried to draw one it looked forced), but after doing a few poses like that and seeing the shadow shape, it became really intuitive really quickly how to draw a calf muscle engaged that has credibility. The rest of the body is full of those shapes that you see repeated over and over with various poses - I'm learning all these shapes without even having to sit down and puzzle them out and study study like usual. Not even making notes, just mental ones that keep getting reinforced since I'm seeing them over and over.
Reilly stuff is really hard to come by, apart from the basic rhythm charts. Watts Atelier explains it in detail, I'll share some screenshots from the PDF notes you get from there (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting a couple of clips).

http://i.imgur.com/NUl57mC.jpg

I'll get back to you about the meditation stuff next time.

Stuff from last couple of days:

Brush pen gestures, managing to do them with less lines now but still too many outlines and contours : )

[Image: GQnXS8l.jpg]

[Image: XTyrTcv.jpg]

And studying some trees for watercolour class, we will do trees in class next week.

A couple of plein air sketches (so fun to paint outside):

[Image: 9WUuAAL.jpg]

[Image: HzUkoUJ.jpg]

And some digital studies about structure, in the second one I tried to use a watercolour approach and painted light to dark on one layer (above a sketch and background layer) - it came out a bit washed out.

[Image: vgZRW0X.jpg]

[Image: 9IuvRjv.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 01-24-2016, 02:01 AM