JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Ben Thanks man! One artist I admire a lot is Glenn Keane, and he has consistently done life drawing through his whole career (I believe). Really such an important aspect! You should definitely get back to it ^^

Studying some Frazetta as advised (I've been meaning to for ages, finally getting around to it).

[Image: U04JJw1.jpg]
Notes are cut off, but they say:
1) The anatomy doesn't have to be perfect, just interesting!
2) Light / mids / darks flow nicely together on the rough skin of the monster, limit / soften the hard transitions
3) Non-uniform hatching
4) Movement / flow in hatching on monsters back, emphasising the twist in the torso
5) V.thin / broken lines for rock surface details
6) diluted ink for background limbs and some reflected light
7) cross hatching limited to very dark places only, to give some variation in the shadows
8) patterned hatching for rocks
9) no contour line on girls leg, used the background to define it (I did it quite badly)
10) pure white patch of reflected light on girls hip, looks sexy
11) hard change of direction on spherical forms hatching
12) hatching across cylindrical forms, tilting to diagonal for dynamic (on the hero's forearm)

[Image: W372UTY.jpg]
I've been trying to apply this stuff to my figure drawing things, but I think I need to do some longer untimed poses to really be able to apply and internalise this stuff (probably with some planning / thumbnails beforehand).

For now, trying some diluted ink mixed with a little black watercolour paint on my figures:

[Image: jITRJO8.jpg]

[Image: 75X01oW.jpg]

[Image: ZBb5Ybo.jpg]

Some stuff from life drawing (ink + black watercolour, then ink and charcoal for last one)

[Image: cXyE8jB.jpg]
(yea! someone brought a dog with them XD )

[Image: 51qdkqN.jpg]

[Image: OuDkRnm.jpg]

[Image: lk8FEr5.jpg]

Finally, trying to see if I can approach heads the same way I have been approaching figures by doing quick drawings with the brush pen (3 mins for these ones). Not sure if it's going to help... brush pen seems more like a test of current ability rather than something where I can keep doing and improve - since there is very little mistake correction, and the same mistakes keep cropping up (at least it feels that way for the 3/4 view heads anyway). I'm going to continue doing these for a bit though and see if I can improve:

[Image: ymGHKq0.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 02-04-2016, 12:14 AM