John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Hey! I like your thread, you can see the improvement from one post to another. I see that you've done some Bargue and really, everybody should do it, even if it's hell... It helps so much!
I don't know if I can just pop up from nowhere and start giving my opinion but here's my two cents about your last painting anyway:
I see that you added much more details on the right sleeve of the shirt (the one closest to us). You can feel the volume of the folds, but I feel like the added rendering makes the overall too heavy - It doesn't look like a material made for a shirt anymore. I really like how you make the fabric turn around the arm, it's much better than in the first version, but the other addings make the whole thing really super detailed compared to the whole painting (the shoes for example). It clashes a bit with the rest of the shirt that, IMO, is quite delicate and has a nice sense of depth. It really draws the attention on his shoulder, especially when his face is not that much detailed in comparison. Or maybe you just didn't finish and I'm rambling for nothing...
Also, did you use a perspective grid for the character? I tried to find the vanishing points and it seems that the way the feet are aligned are a bit off compared to the rest, and it gives a slight feeling of unbalance despite the solid feeling of volume you succeded to convey.

Nice thread once again :D

Sorry for my English, I'm French!

SKETCHBOOK THREADTUMBLR - REDBUBBLE 

-

Messages In This Thread
RE: Works only a mother can love (John's Thread) - by Helianthe - 05-21-2016, 11:41 AM