John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Coloring time!

At this point of the process, I was so tired of doing line work that I was raring to go with the coloring! So excited, I thought to myself: "I think I'm pretty good at coloring stuff. I'm gonna cut the time short by going straight right in! Dive in and get the colors right the first stroke. That's how Sargent did it anyway! This will be my happy place."

Here's a quick breeze through (it's mirrored here just to show I flip often) :

This took me a long time. Like 2-3 days!

It's so horrible! I can let out a chuckle now since I'm finished with it! An uncomfortable, sweat-inducing chuckle to be more specific. But at that time, boy was I miserable, especially that day when I got a fresh pair of eyes on it.

I did everything by the book. Got my references. I knew where my light sources are. I have a pretty decent copying skill. Read a lot of Sargent. Saw a lot of Alla Prima videos. But kept asking myself "why the hell am I stuck?" followed by an assuring "but I should be awesome!"

Eventually, self loathing sets in. I'm screaming at myself in my head (all caps for emphasis!):

"YOU'RE NO SARGENT! YOU'RE A FUCKHEAD. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? YOU THINK YOU'RE BONHAM READY TO DO SOME IMPROVISED DRUMMING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SET? YOU ARE A MOCKERY TO ALL ARTISTS OUT THERE. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND THROW YOUR COMPUTER, FOLLOWED BY YOURSELF, OFF A CLIFF."

Those weren't the exact lines, but the feeling is the same!

I am shit!

Next entry would be me trying to get rid of some of that stink away!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 11-10-2016, 11:56 PM