John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Again, The work is finished. Any criticism about the process work is as good as criticizing a recording, wishing any input has a chance to make the work look another way when it's done.. But! For the sake of argument..  

Anton_Fort - No doubt about it. My values are incorrect. Probably better if I said the colors/values are placeholders where the lights and shadow sides are. An approximation if you will. Highlights are still close to mid tones, some parts that are meant to be in shadow are too as well. The reason for that is, I always bump the values up or down during rendering. I tried doing a piece as close to the right values before, and I still had to correct the values during the coloring stage. Like I'm doing a perfect value pass twice. And you are right, the values of girl's shirt blends into the wall. It is awkward looking.

I disagree, color is just as important as values. First and most importantly, colors inherently have values by nature. Second, saturation plays a role, like pulling off depth perception (as BadWoolf explained it). I would go out on a limb to say, maybe the hue isn't as important, because there are colors where I can get away with it looking a certain way without giving it the "right" hue. Like how a desaturated yellow can give you "blue" given the right colors surrounding it. But, then again, I'm sure there are counter arguments how hue is important as well. 

You can have work that has perfect values on it. But having to critique it as an entire thing, you still run the risk of making it look muddy without the right hue or chroma. Unless of course, you're intentionally going for muddy.

So nope. Color is important. But I see what you are saying.

BadWoolf - Thanks for the P.O. I do appreciate it. I might be wrong but your P.O. reads like it has a singular light source (the light coming from the camera) that just diminishes as it gets farther from it. The problem I was trying to address is, what if you have a light source (cool) from the camera, and another light source (warm) above the red head girl's head. Would it still be as dark as you painted it on?

---

Thanks for the response, both of you! I hope to get a follow up to get a discussion going. Hmm... it actually got me thinking about revisiting the piece. It's been sitting on the shelf for quite some time now..

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 11-14-2016, 12:19 AM