John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Hey man, You've got some really cool stuff going on here! You definitely seem to have a healthy work ethic which is the main thing imo if you want to get good. 
 Let's see if I can give you an useful crit! When you work on faces, I like your lines a lot, they are good to define the heads structurally, but they seem not to be translating well when you add values. I had that problem a lot, I used to draw faces and really like them, then try to paint them and they just wouldn't look like I thought they should when I considered the lines. I got to the conclusion that lines were kinda deceitful when it came to representing 3 dimensional stuff ( I know,duh ) so lately I've been just avoiding the careful lines and basically just changed the approach to making a few marks to define the overall structure and then working directly with values, that way I'm always seeing what I have, if that makes any sense, and i get to the result I want faster and easier. It also has the benefit of giving your work a more organic feel to it and avoid a bit of the "digital" look. 

I also noticed in some of your imagination work that you tend to go, sometimes, too dark with shadows in skintones, where they shouldnt be. Consider the sss qualities of the skin and also how reflective it is.There is usually something reflecting light on the skin. I'd recommend building the values gradually and avoid using a wide range of values from the get go. Like for example, try to paint a portrait with a very limited variation between the darkest and lightest values, then when you are done, expand the value range a bit, then again and again. I've found that's a nice way to get a feeling of the right variation of values in skin.

About your last work, I'm really digging it! I have a thing for chicks with swords too haha. I agree with NoodleInBox about the mouth being a bit off, I also think that the nose is a bit weird looking right now
and the neck is looking like it's completely straight but i think that's a trick of the hair on top of where the curve should be in the back of her head. I'm attaching a little thingy to kinda show what I mean. Also, this is more of an stylistic preference but i feel like the far cheeckbone is a bit too low and the brow ridge should be protruding out a bit more.

I hope that helps. Keep up the great work man!
[Image: linesover.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by FabianSaravia - 01-01-2017, 06:54 AM