John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
xelfereht - Thanks!
Artloader - Honestly, I'm not sure how to translate that premixing I'm doing for studies into doing coloring for an original piece. It does help me to limit colors so that I don't overblow the saturation. I think I'm still a crapload full of exercises away from getting the coloring/painting down to a pat. 

It's easier for exercises like these because there's a reference photo I can always go back to if the colors get to stray.

neopatogen - No. A lot of line art and toning. Comic books! I'm doing paint studies because I'm worried I lose that skill of how to paint!

I'm still trying to figure out how to make things look good with halftones. This is a test panel:

[Image: j57V0r3.jpg]

I'll not use this exact panel for the final output. There are still a lot of things that look a bit messy (eg. shading of the shadow side of the jaw, maybe I will take the liberty to caricaturize some features, etc). The book is a mess. Right now, it can look as barebones as this:

Or as finished as this:

The reason why I'm not posting the comic book work, not that I don't want external feedback. It's because I listen to feedback so much, trouble is that the work might be pulled into different directions. I am wary of the impending scope creep. Especially when there's a hard deadline.

All in all, I think it's manageable. It's just a 16 pager.

---

No painting studies to show for now. It's currently shitting the bed.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 07-15-2017, 11:40 PM