John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
gregorkari - Hey.

Yes, I do start with big shapes. During the line art stage, I usually separate those shapes when there's a distinction between light and shadow. When the value/color change is subtle, I group them together. Sometimes I lump them together and deal with the color/value later in the next stage. Which is...

The coloring stage! Here, I squint to help me pick off the general shapes to subdivide them from the line art further. If I'm having a hard time choosing a color/value for that big shape, I try to match the color I see when I squint. Squinting basically averages the colors in that area. I fill all those big shapes first then tackle them later on individually.

I don't squint at the reference when I'm doing the details!

This is the step by step:

This is the final:

I think it's a good observation exercise. And a good chance to problem solve how to lay down brush strokes. I start off with hard edges then gradually blend them together with a softer brush if I need that smooth gradient.

Hope that answers your question!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 11-18-2017, 11:11 PM