pindurski's SB
Hi guys! Yup, another former member of the CA.org community looking for a new home:) Now, enough talk, let's get this art business up and running:)

Here is a WIP of one of my current on-the-go pieces: The Secret Keeper.

One more WIP that I have on me (or my USB:)... The Impaler:

Wootwoot-- So glad you decided to join, pindu. It's just not the same without your awesomeness painting up the joint, haha.

Being there and seeing your work transform has been such an honour, dude. It really amazes me how far you've come. Your perspective pieces are just jaw-dropping. Any tips on how you achieved this smooth tonal shift in your work?

Oh, and call me misty, or book, or whatever you like. It's kinda cool that my past nickname caught on; I have a habit of changing usernames wherever I go, lol. I'll probably stick with whichever one sticks best. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Thanks Misty,

I think I've improved because I've found a process that works for me. I am stronger when I work black & white then to colour. I've come to accept this and not feel bad because some beasts can kick ass and paint straight with colour. And with that I've also learned I work best from dark to light meaning I now start dark and slowly paint in the light... This helps me understand and see my forms better - at least I think so.

Oh... and now I only paint one light source at time (rare occasions two) but I leave the rim lighting until last. I've figured out that rim lighting doesn't change anything on a grand scale since it mostly exists in shadows anyways. I've found out adding it too early can really complicate a piece especially when you are still trying to get your main lighting right. I now view rim lighting like special effects to be added nearer the end of a painting... like dessert:) Yum.

hey welcome! and awesome stuff you have here.
That secret keeper piece is great, i'm loving the light/shadows there.
Do you started in gray scale? if so, i would love to see some steps haha i always sucked at going from grayscale to color.

(12-16-2014, 04:43 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: hey welcome! and awesome stuff you have here.
That secret keeper piece is great, i'm loving the light/shadows there.
Do you started in gray scale? if so, i would love to see some steps haha i always sucked at going from grayscale to color.

Thanks Eduardo, I did start the secret keep in greyscale, but I don't have a process breakdown for it; I do have one for an older painting though: Dragon King

super useful dude, many thanks!

Lol, pindu! Somehow, your process seems soo unique. It's awesome. Grin Way to break the rules, man. Thanks for sharing, too.

Thanks for the tips on values-- I might try it this way. I've been experimenting a lot lately, even just with my studies. Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Thanks guys, glad you found it helpful:)

A little more on The Impaler... still roughly blocking in design elements and working with light and contrast.

I was a HUGE fan of your work on CA so i am looking forward to following you on here too :P
Love the latest WIP

(12-16-2014, 09:40 PM)learningasidraw Wrote: I was a HUGE fan of your work on CA so i am looking forward to following you on here too :P
Love the latest WIP

Thanks dude! I hope this is a rocking place! Here is some recent stuff... no more old stuff... on with the new.

Great sketchbook, thanks for posting those steps. Super interesting to see!

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
good stuff, I especially love seeing the process of peoples work. Thanks for sharing, will be watching for future updates!
Very inspirational sb man! Keep up the good work!

really awesome work, thanks for posting and keep up the good work :D

astute-fool, Caisne, desirulz thanks for stopping by guys! I appreciate the love:) Glad you like the work.

Almost done with Secret Keeper... though it's lacking something at point...

Awesome progress on the keeper, man. It looks so cool. I don't know what could be missing. Maybe a dude in the upper left sneaking up behind? haha. Keep up the awesome work. Grin

Sketchblag

Great work in here!

I think it might be interesting to have the guy's head either turned to face us or looking towards the light. It might make for a more interesting action line, since at the moment the majority of his pose is very dynamic but when you get to his face its perfectly parallel to his shoulders, which also form a very square and somewhat stiff line. The right hand holding the little stick is a bit confusing to me as well

And I also agree with book, another character would be neat. Maybe a dead guy on the floor that he slew, which would be a great opportunity for a golden spiral, or someone approaching him or something. Right now it looks like hes just striking a pose for a photoshoot .

But great work on everything else. It looks very professional!

Patrick Gaumond - thanks for the input, although I was not ready to make any compositional changes. Nope! :)

Misty - thanks for stopping by:)

Calling this one DONE. You know the best way to mess up you art schedule? Having a baby. No word of a lie Friday morning I had laid down my last brush stroke and hit "save" then I got a call from my wife saying it was "time." Needless to say I think my world is now havok so I might not be around here as much as I had planned.... good lord this is the first time I've sat down in 3 days! Anyways, hope you guys like this one: The Secret Keeper - FINAL

Wow, congratulations Pindu! Grin You're a dad! That's crazy, man. Your world is changed for good. Well, good luck to you, and hope you manage to find time through the awe of fatherhood. 088

Awesome finish, by the way. I like the blur on it. You've really improved with composition since the beginning.

Sketchblag

whoa amazing end result and congrats! :)