Vornag's Happy-Go-Funtime Turbo Ultra Resurrected Hopefully Trainwreck
Hey James, thanks for the comment. I agree entirely, rendering and detail has never been my strong suit. The past couple of pictures have been my attempt at pushing my work to a more finished level, and it's a process that I assume will come naturally over time as I crank out more and more pictures.

except the last one cause it was bad and I scrapped it.

also Mordheim is really good you should go play it

Scream at what I'm doing wrong in my sketchbook
it helps a lot
Vornaaaag! Long time, no Sketchbook comment. Grin

Sorry about that! But, don't worry, I'm catching up on your stuff. Looks like your lines are getting a lot more organized, and you seem to be constructing shapes a lot more confidently! Way to go man!

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
gods above help me for I am a lazy fuck.

Welcome back Book, started to miss you

I haven't been drawing a lot of stuff that I'm comfortable posting here but I'm specifically asking for a critique on the value piece before I delve any deeper. if you have the time and will, please scrutinise as much as you can.

it helps a lot
*breathes heavily" In love 

dynamic poses and drapery are something you do beautifully, ᶫᵃʷᶰMower Please!  Shock 

*Continues breathing heavily*  In love

Poof. Here I come and here I go.

EDIT: oh yeah right, happy new year if you're into that kind of stuff

I could do with adding some more value disparity and darkening the foreground. Some guidance would be appreciated.

like duh purdy culuhs.

it helps a lot
To me the foreground is fine at this stage of things. Your red piece is pointing to the left, but that brown piece that catches our attention isn't bringing it back around towards the center where that faded, center tower is in the far, far background, which, I'm assuming, is the destination of this image's story line. Your composition so far looks like a mirrored S, with the top pointing up and out of the image, exiting at top left.

Focus.
I abandoned the last image because it was far too flat and boring, but thanks for the feedback regardless, Meat.

in exchange I offer you something flat and boring

it helps a lot
Heeey, some of the mordheim inspired stuff looks pretty cool. Keep it up, working on the painting side of things.(Cant say painting without "pain" eh? Well no pain no gain, get those 80s tracks revved up and push through :D)

stuff.

It's becoming increasingly harder for me to sit down and grind. I still love painting and drawing to bits, but the initial spark that drove me on is gone.

it helps a lot
Kay, so. Plans for the future.

Simplify your masses and stop being scribbly as fuck.
Learn how to do faces. Again. Stop un-learning this.
Make a color palette before you start painting.
Disregard everything because you just got gifted a 60$ game seriously this is not cool.

I want to continue drawing but when someone just throws 60$ at your face you kinda stop what you're doing and tell them that they're complete morons for doing that and that you also love them. so yeah.

it helps a lot
I have been experiencing the same thing as you. Though I want to draw it feels hard to sit down and do the deed. I can't figure out why it's happening.
Anyway, you did a good thing setting up goals. I hope this give you more enthusiasm. Try to work with cleaner and limited lines. It worked for me to create more clear and concrete pieces.

I feel your increasing difficulty to sit down and grind as well. Over here it's gotten so bad I fidget after mere 20 minutes. There's this method that you set yourself the goal of grinding x time, then immediately give yourself a solid, physical, straightforward reward after reaching that goal. ... just be careful don't over-eat instead of not art-ing enough! XD

Focus.
Thanks for stopping by, Purple and Meat. I'll drop some critique tomorrow (probably hopefully I'm an ass when it comes to that) since I'm out of time for today.

I feel like whenever I start a piece it's super fun up until like half an hour where I take a step back and realize that it's not as great as I envisioned. For some reason I expect fully rendered and equipped pieces the moment I start working on them and completely forego the process required to get to a finished image.

It just struck me that I haven't done a study in ages. Gotta hop on those.

have these guys again. probably not finishing them.

it helps a lot
Hello, I scrolled through your sketchbook and realized few things that can help you. If you want to get better in shortest amount of time, focus on fundamentals. You do mainly paintings from imagination. But there is one thing -  you cannot paint properly something from imagination,if you don't know how it looks. It's crucial to use references. You have painted a lot of armor but you probably don't understand how to paint reflective materials. The same thing with drapery, etc.
Try to observe how light interact with materials in real life, or better, paint some still lifes. Don't just copy shadows and lights, try to look around still life and realize how different angle of view will change it. You cannot paint metal, glass or any other reflective material as matte surface.

Yes, I'm so bad, but there isn't really another way how to get better than to do these studies. Yes, I know they are not always fun, but as soon you get into doing them you will get better much,much faster. And when you get, painting will become even more enjoyable. Guaranteed!

I don't want to be negative, I just want to help you.

On the other hand, your gestures looks great.

btw. If youre looking for some book, I will recommend you Color and Light by James Gurney

Keep going!

Thank you so much for your input, Pavel. I don't view you as negative, more so eager to help than anything. I've subconsciously been avoiding the study grind like it's a plague, but I really do have to start it eventually. Again, thank you so much for your honesty, it's the number one thing I need right now.

I've never been much of a planner. I work primarily on intuition and what feels right for me, but that won't really get me far when it comes to art. Therefore, plan.

From this day on I'll be keeping track of my progress towards the 10k hour rule. While I'm not exactly motivated by arbitrary goals like reaching a number, it gives me something to strive towards and continually reminds me that, no matter what, I am improving simply by Shia LaBeoufing it.

All drawing sessions will begin with a 30 min gesture warmup because those are fun.

0-50hr - Studies
 0-25hr - Human anatomy
  - Legs. oh god the legs you suck at these just do it
  - Arms
  - Whatever comes between I just need to fill this
 25-50hr - Lighting and materials

Every session I will force myself to go outside of my comfort zone and study something that I haven't done before. Far too often do I just find myself "studying" stuff I have already gone over.

I will keep track of the time spent drawing/painting every week. If the time exceeds 10 hours I get to do anything I want to for a full day while the "week timer" is paused. If I fail to get 10 hours, I have to get 10.5 hours next week and so on. Every week that I do successfully, 0.5 hours are shaved off the time requirement, capping at 10 hours.

I'm duct taping a picture of Shia on my wall just to remind myself to do it.

3.1hr (ish) / 100000hr

I begin drawing according to plan tomorrow.
5min gestures

Zahra from Critical Role.

it helps a lot
Its always good to have a plan, stick to it and progress shall be quite evident in fairly short amount of time!

Hey Hobbit, thanks for stopping by.

I'm super tired today so I'll give some critique tomorrow. My arm hurts and I'm sleepy.

4.5hr (ish) / 10000hr

it helps a lot
Back to it.

7.3-ish hr / 10 000hr

it helps a lot
10.20 hr / 10 000 hr

Drew some stuff in my sketchbook while I was gone, that's probably never being uploaded.

it helps a lot
I can confirm, firsthand, that the common cold sucks. It's like cancer but just slightly less worse.

The whole weekly counter thing really isn't making me any more productive, so that's out.

Gonna go die in a corner now.

11.57hr / 10k

it helps a lot