chubbycat's sketchbook!
glad it was useful! it's looking great. It might be a case of you overthinking it, looking at it from my point of view it could be considered 'done', shadows look totally fine for this kind of style, all feel pretty natural. Making them warmer/cooler would both probably work just a subtly different mood. Adding a hint of the purple of the shadows in the topmost part of the sky maybe to unify it? but it probably doesn't strictly need it.

The only thing that sticks out to me is the folded cloth of his red sweater on the guy on the left, the triangle bit folding over the wall? It feels like it's flat against the wall and under his leg, so it would be in shadow and not cast much of a shadow on the wall. Right now it's like its flapping out in the wind. Everything else looks so great.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@JyonnyNovice Thanks so much again for your advice!! Really couldn't have pushed this piece to where it is without ya help. I think maybe you are right about getting to the point of overthinking it lmao. I did end up fiddling with it more, and adding a subtle hint of purple to the sky. Also I totally changed the fabric shadow - thanks for picking that up!

----------
Thinking of calling this done unless anyone has extra crit for it 
[Image: d2b89d216e199dd134b6a9623f16b30c58d4d270.jpg]

Also some lineart for things I'm working on now

[Image: eb8ebdfda7427cfb568b1f84332cbe5c7a63fa3b.jpg]

Back to studying anatomy again (doing Proko's anatomy course). I really want to focus on the torso this month because that's currently the part of the body I'm having the most issues with understanding/inventing/drawing (why do you think all my characters wear baggy shirts lmao). Proko's course starts with the pecs, so I've been doing that. I've noticed my brain comprehends things as being wider than what they are in reality, so I gotta keep correcting myself with that
For the studies it kinda goes like:
1 - attempt it myself
2 - overlay my attempt over the ref image and find out what I've done wrong
3 - final version where I try and focus on the more subtle things I missed previously 
[Image: ce9e606f37f9a150bbb07b97c7bd1feff994f6b1.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Abs and that age old question of how to draw them without them looking like lobster tails lmao. Continuing working through Proko's anatomy course (this week it's abs) and stumbled upon a new brush I'm really enjoying using for said anatomy studies. 

[Image: be8e289c73f360075533763a8a02a83ab3e77fcf.jpg]

Coloured version of this drawing
[Image: ad205b7fce4a04fbd088c5a6f526df16bf526a70.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Maybe don't make the abs symetrical it will make it look more natural not every figure as to be a top model that just a choose .Nothing wrong about a chubby figure.So remember to draw large range of body shape taking reference from live model when possible.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
the piece turned out great, glad my little comments were useful ^^

really impressive amount of ab studies, we're gonna start seeing topless skaters soon? and you did a great job not making them look like lobster tails, quite a challenge with just lines.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Those abs looks great actually! I really like your anatomy drawings, very simple and clear. Definitely something I'd like to emulate

puttin in werk! nice abs

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words, they really mean a lot :)

@darktiste I'll keep that in mind! I do want to experiment with drawing different body types in the near future

@JyonnyNovice Thanks Jyonny! No topless skaters but considering making a new (unrelated) character soon. Someone shirtless or like a superhero with that body hugging spandex LOL gotta put these anatomy studies to some kind of use ;)

@JosephCow Thank you!! I don't know if it's any help, but I always have Charles Bargue drawings open on my other monitor when doing these studies. I really admire his work, so I try and draw inspiration and emulate how he does his anatomy drawings. If you like simple and clear anatomy drawings, you could refer to his stuff when you next do anatomy studies :)

@xelferht Thanks Andrew!

----------

Something completely and utterly different for this post. One of my goals this year was to learn and utilize blender in my art, so I've been playing around with it more. I haven't really done environments before (at all, really) so I wanted to give it the old college try and have at it over the Christmas break. Proud to say I only cried a lil when using Blender (going from Maya to Blender navigation is hard). How it currently is serves its purpose as a block in, but safe to say it'd make a 3D modeller cry haha

Idk if it's obvious, but I've a very project driven person. So I ended up creating a basement for my skaters (I mentioned ages ago it was very Scooby Doo story wise, so I tried to add story elements in the scene). Something about those wooden walls is just peak 70's/80's styling and the whole thing is so bad I'm living for it lmao (I have a big softspot for the 70's/80's because of my music taste)
It's still in draft mode, and I plan to clean up the lines and make everything less blocky in the next lineart stage.

[Image: 5cc5829390a7a0bcac63b2670e916b1ab2ad5420.jpg]

[Image: e76e2ef5c4a370b981649f544f5cfc0124077ce2.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

(12-15-2020, 03:26 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: @JosephCow Thank you!! I don't know if it's any help, but I always have Charles Bargue drawings open on my other monitor when doing these studies. I really admire his work, so I try and draw inspiration and emulate how he does his anatomy drawings. If you like simple and clear anatomy drawings, you could refer to his stuff when you next do anatomy studies :)
That's interesting. I love his work, too. I've done quite a few copies of his drawings. I think about the simple figure drawings a lot when I do figure drawings. I find it hard to emulate the level of specificity with the anatomy and the contours, and yet how simple and confident it appears.

Hey chubby_cat, I'm loving your figure studies - really clean confident lines!

It's awesome that you've gotten into Blender as well - another skillset added to your repertoire!

Have you tried the sculpt mode in Blender - that is awesome as well!

Keep it going :)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@JosephCow For sure - simplifying is rough. I think what helps is finding artists you admire and seeing how they do it (i.e. what things they choose to simplify) and then attempt to pull that into your own work :)

@Artloader Thanks Artloader! I have not tried Blender's sculpt mode yet! I think it might be something I play with down the line when I'm more confident in Blender as a whole :)

------
Half-laughing-half-crying 
I really do see why a lot of people paint things in as opposed to line arting everything haha
[Image: acd602d3b7606f22bd3ee88ec3ffdb22a9fdcde7.jpg]
[Image: 52ba64dac23a7be749b22b068d256d039c8ad31f.jpg]
[Image: fdb9e03098700db5075f9c0daff5b761af1fc0eb.jpg]
.[Image: 8065f9bc0ee3314601e31e6df3c977c7ef4528b2.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Omg love the garfield phone!

@JosephCow Hahaha I couldn't resist having it for a bat phone. The ad for it is peak 70s/80s and I love it

Ad:

Sketchbook // Insta

I have a picture of that same phone as my profile picture on discord. I love those 80s garfield vibes.

New year new skater (the dates are close enough lmao)

Working on a new character and starting with the deck. My overall shape language for the character is a circle, so I've been trying to push that into the board too. Went for a space theme because I'm going to lean the character a bit more into the nerdy side of things. I've attempted to center the design a bit more this time because I'll be adding rails to the sides and nose, which means they'll eventually cover parts of the graphic. 

I think I'm vibing with the more simple designs for this, like 7 does feel very 80's skateboard. Idk about the tag line though, gotta sit on it

[Image: a7db456dd97a571ad8776954037fced41a184701.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Heheh cool - I think no. 8 is my favourite I like the story element of the alien dude being dragged along on his deck by the flying saucer :).

So what's the deal with these skater people? Are they part of a bigger story?

Happy New Year to you by the way :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Really cool studies and updates here. Those abs studies were great, anatomy looks spot on. The environment sketches I really dig, just very nice and clean work. Great designs on the new skater designs, some really creative work there. Keep it up!

@Artloader Belated Happy New Year to you too! :) Thanks for your comments! Unfortunately no.8 is one I didn't take further. I liked the story elements as well haha, but it didn't feel like it aligned with the particular 80s skateboard graphic style I was after for this board design.
Yea so the gist is they are a part of a bigger story I would love to comic out one day! It's a murder mystery story and in true 80s fashion, it's got some government conspiracy/supernatural vibes to it lmao. Eventually after the skate crew I'll be concepting some masked villains for these pesky kids to foil

@cgmythology Thanks cg! Appreciate your kind words :)

----------
Round 2 of thumbnails. Feeling pre good about this round of changes; it's a lot more in the direction I want compared to the first round. I'm really feeling the decal being centered, so I'm vibing with 1, 2. 4 and kinda 6. While I will explore the colour palette down the line, my brain currently sees cyan/pink/purple being the core colours for this character, real vibrant and happy  

[Image: dbace7099338347a143869bd0c7eb50b1e798b81.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Thumbnailing my new character. It's proving very difficult to convey a circle shape language when the 80's basically had a skate 'uniform' of shorts and tshirts. Quite liking 1 & 4 (those patterned skate pants tie in well to the space themed skateboard lmao) 

[Image: c46905b85e15989d66cf7452bcba53c10adb72fd.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Board thumbnails

[Image: beb826ee9bc95f06d364456f266a835e3054041d.jpg]
[Image: 0d640ef1de58841551711a8118105bc10df3886d.jpg]

Previous iterations:
[Image: c129211523a06f42580ed5efd02f81acb120014e.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta