What
(04-25-2021, 08:48 PM)Zizka Wrote: I can’t see the original ref but that’s a great portrait unless it’s someone famous and I don’t know them which is quite possible. 
Thanks! It was from life. I generally don't like posting any incidental photos of the model I take online, for obvious reasons, but the likeness and result I was pretty happy with. 

(04-26-2021, 11:33 PM)dimensional-knight Wrote:  Let's take a moment to bask in their charcoal glory together! xD

Great mood in the latest portrait. Nice studies in the background too, very meta in a way, hah.
Yes let's :). Thanks! Sometimes when I find myself propogating some bad decisions on the subject, I turn to the background and just have some fun, and get out the bad juju on an area that isn't so essential. Having some location or time context for portraits can be useful. I like the meta aspect too haha. That whole wall is plastered with figure drawings.

Also, responding to your comment in your sb about my digital stuff, I have a sketchbook here started in 2012, that is linked to in my first post in this sb if you for some unfathomable reason wanted to trawl through old stuff. My art station in my signature has some of my old digi work, but I don't really curate or use artstation much anymore, so not sure what's still there. ✌️

Plein air, after a while. Rusty but fun.

Sketches from life, same day

This plein air painting is really nice. As person who being scared of traditional painting, I bow my head before you!

Interesting choice of canvas shape Party

(04-28-2021, 08:31 AM)Delorias Wrote: This plein air painting is really nice. As person who being scared of traditional painting, I bow my head before you!
Thank you thank you!  No need to be scared. Trad painting and esp. Oil painting seems to have some mystique due to the weight of history and everything else, but what I realised the first time I touched them was that it really is just fun, plain fun. Visceral, awesome, buttery fun. All the rest is just a bit of knowledge and technique. 
(04-28-2021, 03:05 PM)Hobitt Wrote: Interesting choice of canvas shape Party
Hey Hobb! A forced one! I left all my rectangular panels I prepped at home, but had this one in my bag by chance. I like the round panels really, different challenges.

From figure class today. Always find it a bit hard to go from exercise to exercise each week and essentially incorporate a new focus or approach in but still have some preferences in rendering styles and approach that you have to suppress almost. Sometimes it works sometimes not . Learn with every figure anyway. This week was really about slow gesture and using a build up of forms linearly at first. Not something I do a lot of so it was different. 

2m a 10m I think and something over an hour

One of these days I'll draw something more personal and less just observational again. I think. Maybe.

Really like the house drawn with vertical lines, definitely my cup of tea. I think it's interesting that ''plein air'' is the term for painting outside. It's a French term and I don't think they're usually used in artistic terminology.
Thanks Zizka! :) I suppose it is one of the few French art terms used, unless you're French of course XD
Lots of Italian wurdz around, bloody da vincis et Al need to calm their tits

Gli.ches4mabi.chs

From today's portrait session. Bout 4 to 5 hrs.
Got a great likeness today and happy with the colour and light mixing too. Sometimes it just clicks. Perhaps the expensive Belgian linen panel helped? 

From a portrait class. Few 2 min heads, a 20 min study, then the longer final. The final likeness was probably the best overall.

Some figures from life drawing same evening, mix of durations. One thing I've noticed is my focus can wane badly after a few hours of intense concentration. Did the portrait thing first felt good, Life drawing felt messy and lacking focus.

Also, weirdly, while contracts haven't quite been signed yet, it seems I have a 3 month gig at Weta Digital starting next week as, of all things, a concept artist. This used to be my big "I made it" dream job and now I could barely care less. Lmao. Great opportunity anyway, and I aim to extract as much learning from the other amazing talent there as much as possible. 
Means I probably won't be posting much for a while once I've started. 

Well I signed my soul away for the next couple of months. Gonna be working on a very early stages movie project, with a very prominent director that I actually really rate highly, thankfully. Had the first meeting today and the scope is pretty huge. Scary but in a good challenging way, especially given I haven't really digitally painted anything much in almost 3 years! I think I would have been pissing my pants with pressure a few years ago. Now it's just a different design and aesthetic challenge to have fun with, instead of some achievement feather that I'm imagining I'm earning.
Can't say much more than that. 

Bit sad I won't be able to go to these drop in figure sessions regularly for a while. They have been great. 

Congrats on signing your soul away!! (I mean who wouldn't for weta lmao). Super happy for you!!! It sounds like such a great opportunity that you could potentially have a lot of fun with. Lil Amit would be so happy if he knew this would be in the cards haha. You'll have to let us know all the fun stuff you got to create once you're not bound by NDAs.

Anyway, best of luck with it and I hope it goes well! :)

Sketchbook // Insta

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
That's really exciting news! Hope it goes well.

I like this last figure drawing, looks like one of your best.

(05-07-2021, 05:38 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: Congrats on signing your soul away!! (I mean who wouldn't for weta lmao). Super happy for you!!! It sounds like such a great opportunity that you could potentially have a lot of fun with. Lil Amit would be so happy if he knew this would be in the cards haha. You'll have to let us know all the fun stuff you got to create once you're not bound by NDAs.

Anyway, best of luck with it and I hope it goes well! :)

Thanks Chubby ;). Already learning stuff from the necessary research, which makes me remember how the research often was much of the fun part of concept design for me. As for NDA, yeah that's the big downside, may never get to share any of it until years later if ever lmao. No wonder I've met so many longtime movie concept artists that look depressed :P

(05-08-2021, 03:52 AM)JosephCow Wrote: That's really exciting news! Hope it goes well.

I like this last figure drawing, looks like one of your best.
Thanks Joseph, I think it is too. I feel like I'm learning to balance the aesthetics I enjoy with the story of the figure. Fun times.

Just a wee sketching session at a mate's house with a few other art buddies

. Figured I would write a bit about my experience at Weta while being very non specific.
Spent my first night after my first day of work, not being able to sleep at all, because of general anxiety about the tight deadlines and quality of the work I produced. Had to deliver 2 full keyframey scenes and some design work for a bunch of objects, with a turnaround deadline of about 15 hours, which included research.

That combined with technical issues and being very rusty with digital was "fun." I spent quite a while researching, felt almost too long, so I freaked a little, but they liked the work, and I only got some minor feedback but a new scene plus objects plus polishing to do again with another 10 working hour turnaround essentially.

So I started by hitting the deck running, but I have to say I'm enjoying it. As I speed up and get comfy, I should be able to manage it. The money helps... A lot. I'm making more an hour doodling than I ever made in my IT/public service jobs. Go figure. Oh and I get to work from home, setting my own work schedule and only going in for Ad meetings if necessary. I feel a tiny bit guilty for having it so good tbh, but I deserve it, given the horrific intense shit I've had to endure in last 5 years.

Anyway, though the pace is fast, it seems fairly relaxed for now, probably because its early stages yet. We get to meet and show the director our work in person on Thursday. Looking forward to that :) 

Not sure why I wrote this here. I feel like I need to write a journal for some reason. I bet that will die off soon as the novelty wears off. 

No new art to share really, but here's the last portrait I did that turned out really nice, was really happy, and then I wiped the face by accident during transport, you can see the imprint on the container haha. Had zero time to fix it, but that's gonna be the way for a while ofc.

(05-11-2021, 06:16 PM)Who Wrote: here's the last portrait I did that turned out  really nice, was really happy, and then I wiped the face by accident during transport, you can see the imprint on the container haha. Had zero time to fix it, but that's gonna be the way for a while ofc.
Congrats man ! Also that reminds me of a story in art school where there was this girl who always had some accident destroying her work. So in the end of the year she made this really cool portrait, teacher liked it  and said "Oh wow , great job and you didn't destroy it by accident  this time"  Whiteout missing a beat that girl started laughing hard , completely forgetting she had an open jar of ink in her hand , she pored all that shit into that last surviving portrait of hers .

Congratulations on the movie gig. Interesting read how you went at it.

That drawing sitting is pure eye candy (check your pm).

The sketch is interesting too! Appreciate the intricate cross hatching.
Nice portrait!
Congrats on the gig, funny how quickly things can turn around in life Laugh .

(05-11-2021, 07:01 PM)Mariyan-Hristov Wrote: Congrats man ! Also that reminds me of a story in art school where there was this girl who always had some accident destroying her work. So in the end of the year she made this really cool portrait, teacher liked it  and said "Oh wow , great job and you didn't destroy it by accident  this time"  Whiteout missing a beat that girl started laughing hard , completely forgetting she had an open jar of ink in her hand , she pored all that shit into that last surviving portrait of hers .

Thanks! Heh, well, I've done this to a couple of paintings over the year or two but not that bad, just comes with the territory. 
(05-11-2021, 08:35 PM)Zizka Wrote: Congratulations on the movie gig. Interesting read how you went at it.
Thanks! 
(05-12-2021, 04:38 AM)Hobitt Wrote: Nice portrait!
Congrats on the gig, funny how quickly things can turn around in life Laugh .
Thanks Hob! Yeah it can, though things are always changing even if they feel stagnant, which is good to be mindful of.

No art this time. I Met the director last week and had some direct feedback and discussions on the concepts I did. They seemed to like what the team is generally doing which is cool. 
I have more amendments to make on work already done, but they are now giving me a bit more free reign to pick and choose what to work on, which is great. Lots of fun stuff and difficult design challenges in the pipeline ahead.
Tbh, I'm probably not supposed to be talking about anything internal to the process, so I'll probably quit this "journal" here. 

My time management is atrocious. I'm just not used to this deadline shit no more, so have to trick myself into starting work sooner somehow.

Also realising that I need to become less precious about the work itself. Its ALL about banging out ideas as "tooth" for the client's production team to grip onto, so even the dumbest ideas can be useful at this early stage. A perfectionist is not a good character trait for making a good concept artist in general I think, if you can't manage it and use that in a positive way.