Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: SamSzymSketch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Sweet sketches, Sam. Keep it up :)
I like the mix of modern and really old school characters.

Also the pencil portraits in post 126. :)
Holy shii, now that's what i call studying. You're doing tons of great stuff and I can see your work improving quickly ;3 Just stay on track and keep up the good work ;3
i love those traditional and gesture studies, it looks like they are really helping with your characters from imagination. keep it up :)
WHA-POW here's some recent exaggeration work from figure drawing, playing with colored pencils and brush pen trying to find a look I like. I know people say "just draw a lot and you'll naturally arrive at your style" but I think I should try to consciously define how my art looks. Definitely planning on doing some copies and emulation of artists I like in the future to try and pick what I like and don't like out from their work.
I'm posting too late, wrapping this up before I go into full-rant mode. Here's a bunch of head tilt studies too! My features are still magically changing in size from the reference and drifting around the face sometimes, gotta nail that construction.
[Image: 5UojoYL.jpg][Image: 4LiiCvI.jpg][Image: rWTsdVt.jpg][Image: qjCshRM.jpg][Image: 26B5E4y.jpg][Image: tkAu5nH.jpg][Image: HXxmaIH.jpg][Image: Kk5IMTm.jpg][Image: igpQLsn.jpg][Image: fFpkrRy.jpg][Image: 377tksS.jpg][Image: exwBmcH.jpg][Image: oapVWmC.jpg]
Hey dude, havent visited for a while, but I gotta say, great flow and energy in your works. Keep it up.
The gestures are really beautiful :!. Keep up the hard work :D
The head constructions look really good--great variety, too.

The gestures have greatly improved on the original photographs! I love the one fellow you turned into a giant, with perspective and the ginormous hand coming forward to reach for the little guy on the ground!
Thanks for the comments everybody!
sorry for the absence, I was busy preparing and then gong to CTN! It was a blast. here's some recent stuff for it and homework, I did some sketchbook stuff too but I lost it D:

bunch of storyboard work
[Image: w5wiiK8.jpg][Image: b88IN7S.jpg][Image: gEhl95z.jpg][Image: ze5V4pN.jpg][Image: XAfWhIN.jpg][Image: hoRrjSs.jpg][Image: YWjm6PY.jpg][Image: zY4B3G4.jpg][Image: eCoOSnH.jpg][Image: 5Q1AiKJ.jpg][Image: SCZ1gGo.jpg][Image: vYA4kEY.jpg][Image: 8KzzjTm.jpg][Image: iMZd0bF.jpg]

[Image: O6Iariq.jpg][Image: Hu0eSep.jpg][Image: SLx5zyc.jpg][Image: zRjP7hE.jpg][Image: ryJA6r3.jpg][Image: VpZXHZe.jpg][Image: wBIpoBu.jpg][Image: 0g4cqqo.jpg][Image: LEBtyBt.jpg][Image: y0uXQEJ.jpg][Image: YwShT7W.jpg]
other stuff
[Image: ZvPADmk.jpg][Image: rBfgNPg.jpg][Image: EOFt4qf.jpg][Image: Qgu09HA.jpg][Image: FfPIJe5.jpg][Image: 3N9Ct7e.jpg]

lot more to learn, wish there was more personal finished stuff, blah blah blah
Sam, you are... absolutely... abso-friggin-lutely ba-rill-E-UNT--!!
I mean...

WHOA

SRSLY

THAT IS WHAT I CALLLLLL AN UPDATE O: !!!

I'm gonna hire a band of people that echo my "oohs" and "aahs" because my own vocalisation isn't enough whenever you update O_O

Those exaggerations...
those... those... panels

ajkdhjkahdf

Love love love
can't wait for more! (really)
i enjoyed all the story board stuff! i agree when you said , "I think I should try to consciously define how my art looks". i find doing that helps me appreciate my own art
[Image: 7oURsMy.jpg][Image: ng5t85c.jpg]
A couple spitpaints. really difficult to get an idea to read int hat time while trying to avoid making the composition boring and centered. Gotta do these every day, it's a great exercise and warm up!
Whoa! Those gestural body studies you did up there. Really love how you've exaggerated them to really swing the emotion of the pose all the way home..So to speak xD
Very inspiring for someone who needs to practice more gesture drawing!
Hey man all your gesture and stylisation stuff is looking wonderful. Great work on the storyboard.

Have you ever thought about using shape sorting as a way of making style, as in choosing a set of lines and shapes that exist within the style that everything is drawn out of. An example would be drawing stars as fat stars with tapering curves instead of using straight lines.

The other thing that is being a bug bear of your work despite it being so fucking awesome, but you don't paint within the illusion of form. It feels like things don't look solid for you until you refine and that's because your brush strokes are too exploratory.

I like to think of brush work as every stroke needs to be in the illusion of perspective, and instead I am blocking out 3d forms and cutting into that form or adding to, so I'm being exploratory with form instead of brush strokes. Your painting needs to be solid at every stage,.

Does that make sense?
Really digging the storyboards. Particularly the train robber siblings.
Hey, Sam, it's been a while.
I love what you've been up to recently.
The last few colour stuff you've done are gorgeous, keep doing those!
As usual, Thanks for the comments and sorry for the long, long delay! Just finished up my semester at TAD, and I'm going to use this break I have to the fullest (except the time I'll spend playing starbound and pokemon)
I'm planning on beginning to build up my illustration, character design, and storyboard portfolios so I can start sending them out and looking for work ASAP. Also gonna be practicing my composition, color theory, animation, and the works with a bunch of books and resources that I haven't given enough attention to...and drawing after artists whose styles I love to try to assimilate what I like into my own work. Most likely going to look for a part time job as well, I need to start bringing in some $$$
So, I've got a pretty full plate. If I ever get bored and think "Man, I don't have anything to do" I hope I can remember posting this at the beginning of winter so I can give myself a swift kick in the caboose and get back to work!
I'm going to try to use this sketchbook and my blog to stay accountable and on track, so expect more regular posts! once or twice a week I suppose.

Here's a massive art dump!

[Image: mXSeMRt.jpg][Image: 199w8VV.jpg][Image: pfoHwMK.jpg][Image: uHEu3uK.jpg][Image: M2jIASM.jpg][Image: nySRKMQ.jpg][Image: 4xWxvM7.jpg][Image: 9rvlqZ5.jpg][Image: I7iHBlk.jpg][Image: vv72Up2.jpg][Image: 5hzBghu.jpg][Image: H1HwTJj.jpg][Image: cNWoa8i.jpg][Image: 2wb15zX.jpg][Image: jhGarQ4.jpg][Image: LX9z21Z.jpg][Image: YBzDCfC.jpg][Image: s0xWKl1.jpg][Image: Dx60Ioj.jpg][Image: bTCYvHq.jpg][Image: duof4V5.jpg][Image: Wj7pohE.jpg][Image: 6VINkgx.jpg][Image: qcAT9EP.jpg][Image: unkTQLa.jpg][Image: ag22xuh.jpg][Image: jgY4jE1.jpg][Image: dE0iEuR.jpg]

[Image: p49aX5o.jpg]
heh. okay false start there, got really lazy for a week or so during christmas XD

fresh out of excuses now. gonna get work done, or fail. gotta make a choice.
[Image: uZMMfCh.jpg][Image: qngjPwm.jpg][Image: JHPsioP.jpg][Image: oP2NPWN.jpg][Image: iSmjqsf.jpg][Image: C62XuVR.jpg][Image: 0n0CtQy.jpg][Image: 8lNurLA.jpg][Image: pJhYrFU.jpg][Image: e48NRjV.jpg][Image: s4nxjhq.jpg]
Nice job with the work. Hope you enjoyed your time at TAD.
Careful you don't focus on too many things at once. After all the stuff you said you wanted to do in the last post. Definitely do all those things, but be sure to do them one at a time, and really do them well so that you can see the improvement. Other than that word of caution, keep up the good work, keep pumping it out and you will see improvement in no time.

And good luck getting the part time job :)
Thanks for the advice Jaik! I'm working on setting up a schedule, most likely going to be focusing on one thing a day and trying not to spread myself out thinner than I can handle. First priority of the schedule: stop playing so much Zelda and Pokemon -_-
No luck getting work yet, gonna get my driver's license soon though, that oughta help.

And now the thing you're used to reading: sorry I suck at updating regularly, but this particular time will definitely be different!

[Image: rA4jeoG.jpg][Image: Er5gidB.jpg][Image: DgUcg2V.jpg][Image: EMnIz0g.jpg][Image: 3pB9igx.jpg][Image: fszge0i.jpg][Image: 5zoD9Cr.jpg][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ub
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20