Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: SamSzymSketch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Hell yeah man!

Epic posts are epic!
Your lines are gorgeous and these Pokemon pieces are looking freaking awesome :D

Good luck with finding a part time job, btw.

P.s. welcome-bloody-back Sam! xD
I hope you will be posting more regularly >_>
I look forward to your juicy cartoon updates and beaut studies
Wow, your sketches are so expressive! I love the figure work, so awesome to see the comparison between those images where you show us the original reference, and what you made with them. Really cool.

Good luck with getting a job!
Typhlosion is best starter! Your figures still looking great, sam! Only thing I can say is more, more more. But you alright know that, right? Nervous smile, ahehe
Those brushy pokemons are awesome. You could take an uber traditional Chinese landscape paintings and sneak one of those guys in, and hardly anyone would notice!

As always, your figure drawings have such life! Keep it up!
Scheduling is important, especially if you are someone who runs well when they have a rigid schedule.. But yeah, I could see how zelda and pokemon could get in the way of that... :P

omg, that totodile is the best, the brush work and the values. All really amazing. The life drawing also looks really good. I like the approach with the blue pencil. Really makes it look different. Keep up the good work you are doing great. And thanks for stopping by my sketchbook :)
Thanks guys!!
Been a not-so-productive week. I've been doing a lot of sketching but scanning's sort of a hassle, and still waiting on a replacement pen for my tablet so no digital stuff. But in the interest of not dropping off the map again here's some upshot heads and shibas!
[Image: AQn2lo5.jpg][Image: QFFJhl9.jpg][Image: 8coL3Cd.jpg][Image: mDLTVKx.jpg]
goals: get to a point where construction isn't as laborious to work out, internalize more types of facial structures so I can draw more than supergeneric adult white people without needing refs
Wow your sketchbook is so diverse! So many different styles, its like you're 10 different people XD
Lovely heads and expressions, again. Thanks to you 'make figure work more expressive' is now on my to study list :p
Looking forward to your next update :D
Really like the head studies, and you create some adorable characters, like the little dog. I really like your storyboards too--they make you really feel for the main character!
so much time since i visited you SB, i'm still in love with the energy and naturality of your drawings, so much force in them.
But i'm just repeating myself i feel like i have already said that haha, awesome stuff and here is hoping you are having a good start of the year.
Always good work in here!

Though i want to see you slow down and be a bit more careful with your work. It always feels like you draw at 10 million miles an hour, which is great for practice and quantity, but it's good to practice both.
Thanks for the comments guys!!!

Think you've got a point there Muzz, it'd definitely be worthwhile to devote some more time to more polished stuff, gotta find some balance and figure out a decent way to bring things to a finish, if only to keep myself not completely in my comfort zone.
Maybe I'll start making sure to upload 1 more tightened, clean drawing or finishedy thing for every 10 or so sketches? hm

Here's some stuff. no..finished. work wow this IS a problem XD
some gesture drawing from Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid" in there, I'm a a big fan of studying silent-era movies! The actors of that time were masters of gesture and storytelling.
[Image: 76cCmr0.jpg][Image: OlV2b02.jpg][Image: q0CeF3A.jpg][Image: D3855Un.jpg][Image: ql1EJsl.jpg][Image: PcsOFlX.jpg][Image: 48b0Jtt.jpg]
didn't get much arting in today, here's a sketch of a gorgeous woman

[Image: P6Ftmrz.jpg]

I really wanted to capture the beauty in her eyes.
Ohh is that the monster from neson boles animation?

http://vimeo.com/4566083
Oh dang, it wound up super similar didn't it XD
Nah, haven't seen that film in about a year! It was just supposed to be a generic monster thingy
Haha chalk it up as an unintentional tribute :P?
Some stuff, started studying stylized anatomy in some manga and anime I like. Also experimenting with colored pencil under washes of ink, might get into some watercolors today too. Gotta find a method that get sme to finished art without digital for times like these when my tablet's not working :/
[Image: sEI2KGZ.jpg][Image: 8tUNF69.jpg][Image: ZDaIByy.jpg][Image: mWHhPpj.jpg][Image: 9mbWnY9.jpg][Image: kefk416.jpg]
Ryuuko!!! :D i seriously love it! well, all the other sketches are equally awesome, but kill la kill makes everything better.

Also, i know this is probably going to be one of those stupid questions made by people who doesnt have much idea but, when you are practicing stylized anatomy from animation, whats your focus? or rather, what kind of practice you do? i know, i'm always the guy asking vague questions like that haha but you are so good at this any tip you could give me would be inmensely appreciated!
Ha, not a stupid question at all! But kinda hard to answer XD
It depends on exactly what you're studying, my idea is to analyze the shape design that's working in a body part draw it in different position, trying to achieve the same effect. In that arm drawing I was studying for example, I noticed there's a rhythm of convex curse getting progressively smaller: the arm, the palm, and the pinky. The other fingers are a continuation of the rhythm of the other side of the arm and the way they're facing is opposite of the pinky finger, giving visual variety. You find little rules like those and try to make them work for you.
There could be an infinite amount of detail in any drawing, but good animation artists know where to keep the drawing simple to make the eye flow how they want, and where to place features so they have the maximum variety of large and small shapes, and how to show just a little bit of something so the viewer can tell what it is but not be distracted by it if it's not important to the pose.
I love your sketches so much, I think this is my favourite sketchbook. So much inspiration dayuuuumm!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20