Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Nicky D's Sketchworld
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Continuing with the hand

[attachment=86456]
Gotta learn hands

All from quickposes
[attachment=86903][attachment=86904][attachment=86905]

Mixture of observation and imagination
[attachment=86906][attachment=86907]
Really nice work here :) the hand construction stuff will really be helpful when working purely off of imagination.
Some portrait practice
[attachment=86954]
(06-14-2016, 06:51 PM)yangdaniel027 Wrote: [ -> ]Really nice work here :) the hand construction stuff will really be helpful when working purely off of imagination.

Thanks man, hopefully all the studying and practice pays off at some point!
I think you are rushing those hand studies a bit too much to get the most out of them. Portrait is nice, but a bit lopsided.
(06-15-2016, 12:27 AM)OtherMuzz Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are rushing those hand studies a bit too much to get the most out of them. Portrait is nice, but a bit lopsided.

Possibly, they're only one minute each so the draftsmanship isn't great. It might be a good idea to balance the quick gesture hands with some slower, more accurate drawings.
Quickposes 1 minute sketches
[attachment=87160]
Imagination
[attachment=87162]
From reference
[attachment=87161]
[attachment=87163]
[attachment=87164]

A pose from imagination
[attachment=87165]

And a character to finish the week off. I really need to add costumes and armor back into my study sessions
[attachment=87169]
Some value practice

[attachment=87170]
Really solid stuff, that knight is really nice.

Also Butts.
Nick! That's one delicious value practice! Love the texture, they are well placed!
(06-20-2016, 07:22 PM)John Wrote: [ -> ]Nick! That's one delicious value practice! Love the texture, they are well placed!

You're damn right John
My current strategy is to take one subject at a time (in this case the hand),  and to focus intensely on it through a high volume of repetitive training for a period of weeks. I'm trying to tackle it from every angle, using a variety of references and methods to force the shapes into my brain. So far so good!

Quickposes 90 seconds
[attachment=87234]
Photo studies
[attachment=87235]
Imagine FX Anatomy Issue
[attachment=87236]
[attachment=87237]
Combination of memory and imagination
[attachment=87238]
I meant memory and life (looking at my own hand) in the last post
Quickposes 2 minute gestures with details added after
[attachment=87351]
Life studies and imagination
[attachment=87354]
Memory Studies from Loomis. The drawings in black are from reference, blue from imagination, red are the follow-up correction drawings. An effective but very time-consuming way to memorize shapes and proportions. It's definitely worth it though, I need to do more of these.
[attachment=87353]
A bunch of memory studies from Loomis and some hands with values 
[attachment=87534][attachment=87535][attachment=87536][attachment=87537]
Notes on Hampton's construction process and some life studies
[attachment=87585][attachment=87586][attachment=87587]
Great studies, you have a powerful and effective approach to attaining the understanding. Really good job on the faces and hands. Your rendering will need a bit more work - values/lighting and materials. Employing the notan method should help you make a leap in that aspect.
Awesome studies and sketches! What resources did you use to study casting shadows?
(07-04-2016, 10:55 PM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: [ -> ]Great studies, you have a powerful and effective approach to attaining the understanding. Really good job on the faces and hands. Your rendering will need a bit more work - values/lighting and materials. Employing the notan method should help you make a leap in that aspect.

Thank you for the feedback Piotr, I agree that my rendering could be considerably better. I think more time studying form and construction would help with that, but sure I'm curious to see what I can learn from the notan method
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9