Nicky D's Sketchworld
Continuing with the hand

Gotta learn hands

All from quickposes

Mixture of observation and imagination

Really nice work here :) the hand construction stuff will really be helpful when working purely off of imagination.
Some portrait practice

(06-14-2016, 06:51 PM)yangdaniel027 Wrote: Really nice work here :) the hand construction stuff will really be helpful when working purely off of imagination.

Thanks man, hopefully all the studying and practice pays off at some point!

I think you are rushing those hand studies a bit too much to get the most out of them. Portrait is nice, but a bit lopsided.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
(06-15-2016, 12:27 AM)OtherMuzz Wrote: I think you are rushing those hand studies a bit too much to get the most out of them. Portrait is nice, but a bit lopsided.

Possibly, they're only one minute each so the draftsmanship isn't great. It might be a good idea to balance the quick gesture hands with some slower, more accurate drawings.

Quickposes 1 minute sketches

Imagination

From reference

A pose from imagination

And a character to finish the week off. I really need to add costumes and armor back into my study sessions

Some value practice

Really solid stuff, that knight is really nice.

Also Butts.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Nick! That's one delicious value practice! Love the texture, they are well placed!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(06-20-2016, 07:22 PM)John Wrote: Nick! That's one delicious value practice! Love the texture, they are well placed!

You're damn right John

My current strategy is to take one subject at a time (in this case the hand),  and to focus intensely on it through a high volume of repetitive training for a period of weeks. I'm trying to tackle it from every angle, using a variety of references and methods to force the shapes into my brain. So far so good!

Quickposes 90 seconds

Photo studies

Imagine FX Anatomy Issue

Combination of memory and imagination

I meant memory and life (looking at my own hand) in the last post

Quickposes 2 minute gestures with details added after

Life studies and imagination

Memory Studies from Loomis. The drawings in black are from reference, blue from imagination, red are the follow-up correction drawings. An effective but very time-consuming way to memorize shapes and proportions. It's definitely worth it though, I need to do more of these.

A bunch of memory studies from Loomis and some hands with values 

Notes on Hampton's construction process and some life studies

Great studies, you have a powerful and effective approach to attaining the understanding. Really good job on the faces and hands. Your rendering will need a bit more work - values/lighting and materials. Employing the notan method should help you make a leap in that aspect.

Awesome studies and sketches! What resources did you use to study casting shadows?

(07-04-2016, 10:55 PM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Great studies, you have a powerful and effective approach to attaining the understanding. Really good job on the faces and hands. Your rendering will need a bit more work - values/lighting and materials. Employing the notan method should help you make a leap in that aspect.

Thank you for the feedback Piotr, I agree that my rendering could be considerably better. I think more time studying form and construction would help with that, but sure I'm curious to see what I can learn from the notan method