CRIMSON CHOW #8 - The Last Pilot WIP
Hello Daggers!

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a biweekly challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

This week's topic has been written by the winner of CHOW #6, Homerid!
(http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5833 )

Once the biggest starport in the galaxy, the Aquila Space Station was now an indescribable wreckage. Only one fighter had left the docks in time to avoid the blast radius and pursue the unidentified craft. With alarms buzzing inside the cramped cockpit, his vision focused on the strange vessel and his grip tightened around the controls. "You'll pay for this"

Your task: Design the last pilot of the Aquila Fleet. (OPTIONAL: Design his spaceship as well)

Guidelines:
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!

Deadline is Sunday, December 14 @10pm GMT

feeling full of energy this week , ill deliver on time , ill do a better job and ill make some art gainz and physical gains!
Weird how starting working out gives me so much more energy and motivation , and not only to lift weights!
Congrats on the last one homerid!

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's my super random fail sketches on the matter. 05 was the only one who escaped since he never leaves his ship. He was in fact prepared for such a moment. His right arm is the only one that can connect in the Fighter's board systems and activate it.

Attached Files Image(s)

-"Ahh, this brings back memories of better times. Damn I miss dad."
-"Odds of success: 0.01%"
-"Yet I feel no fear"
-"What do you feel then?"
-"I feel fulfilled"

Small update on my pilot , loving this chow's theme so far!

Attached Files Image(s)

I wanna try to figure out how to represent the general mood before designing.
maybe I'll do a female character.

♥ ♦ ♣ ♠
Also you can visit:
C.D. Sketchbook
My personal blog
My DA

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I liked to prompt and forced myself to draw digitally only. I'm still relatively new to drawing digitally.
BlueBear - Exercise is awesome for motivation on every level! If you keep with this very symmetrical composition it could be a very graphical piece, nice job!

Adrian - You mentioned and I agree, the design is very random, there is so much going on, is hard to focus on anything, maybe try to do some more iterations of it.

Crackedskull - I don't get it, it's a war scene? with a kid?

Artleech - Some cool ideas there, bottom left of the second image is my favorite.

Inkdulcet - Nice to see a different style! Nice work, keep going!

Some thumbs, I really wanna finish this time :D

(12-05-2014, 03:37 AM)M.Calza Wrote: Some thumbs, I really wanna finish this time :D

That's really cool! I didn't even think about doing some thumbnails first--I gotta try that next time.
Did some studies today. Tomorrow I'll start in to actually designing the character.

Been neglecting scifi design for a while, hence the topic. Time to kick my ass into working on something different :)
Doodles!

this gave me a great help working on my pilot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopMCLbt1L0) along with this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUEVrjSxS4).
If i also decide to make the spaceship do i have to bring it to as close to a finished piece as i can or can i just post a rough kind of polished sketch of it ?
diggin your sketches guys !
p.s. wall*

Attached Files Image(s)

great job guys!
I did the lines from some of my thumbnails.

M.Calza - Loving those aviator-like suits on 1 and 3

Bleh, not really feeling this one, wanted to do something around his suit "merging" with the ships controls (like say the engineers in Aliens) went back and forth between too many variations looking at different styles, shapes and materials but the results were horrible and finally just settled down with this generic futuristic NASA looking... dude, might pull some last minute craziness if I feel more comfortable later but for now I'll just try to learn from my bad planning habits :v
Also bonus crappy material studies.

[Image: q5fgCf4.jpg]
[Image: GA60lrX.jpg]

i think your idea ( homerid) and the way the "merging" came up is actually cool as fk ! seriously , i immediately pictured how i would feel flying a spaceship like that :) . Your material studies are amazing , any tutorial u could advise me to get or watch aside from just alot of practice?

Lots to fix, doin the lineart right now, not sure if I'll have time to finish it tomorrow BUT I've had so much fun--it's been helping me w/ drawing digitally.
I changed tack on this. I figured it's cold in space, so being a space pilot probably requires wrapping up warm! Hopefully I get this to a finished standard in time for the finals thread.