Hey, Hi!
Hey there, dudes, my name is Marcelo, i'm from Brazil and i'm in the middle of a journey for perfecting my craft.

I found this forum in a thread about Mike Azevedo and how much he learn on this forum (90% of everything he learned if i'm not wrong) the thread was inspiring in how they portray this community and how individuals with the same mindset happen to help one another on their goals. 
And that's why i'm here, i've been drawing for 4 years now and i decide to take this seriously and make a living of it (i know, i know hard stuff...) 
I'll open a sketchbook to post my studies soon enough, i hope we can get along and help one another.

here are some sketches i did this week:

Hey man, thanks for your post on my SB! And welcome to the forum. I'm new too. :) It looks like you've reached a basic level of skill just drawing. Now it's time to bone up on your fundamentals and use what you learn to make your stuff awesome! Is the lady anyone character in particular?

Good to see you drawing some boxes, those are an important fundamental. I have a few crits for you. First, putting four vanishing points into your construction just makes things look weird. This isn't correct at all. You can, of course, have an infinite number of VPs in a construction- one for each set of parallel lines- but you aren't ever going to see a bunch of boxes which have some sides sharing a VP and there other sides going to random VPs. Whenever you do constructions, make sure they are correct.

Also, bear in mind that placing VPs too close together will create a warped perspective. They need to be spaced properly. My favorite book for perspective is Perspective for Comic Book Artists by David Chelsea, check it out! Another good one is Ernest Norling's Perspective Made Easy. Also, check out Scott Robertson, he kicks ass for learning freehand perspective.

Some of your boxes have near-far plane issues, but since you are starting Draw a Box you'll be learning all about drawing boxes LOL. Just get started, much of what I know I learned from Draw a Box. ^^ BTW, what kind of pencil is that? I thought it might be a lead holder but the tip looks too thin.

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
(02-02-2016, 04:30 PM)Sagittarius-A-star Wrote: Hey man, thanks for your post on my SB! And welcome to the forum. I'm new too. :) It looks like you've reached a basic level of skill just drawing. Now it's time to bone up on your fundamentals and use what you learn to make your stuff awesome! Is the lady anyone character in particular?

Good to see you drawing some boxes, those are an important fundamental. I have a few crits for you. First, putting four vanishing points into your construction just makes things look weird. This isn't correct at all. You can, of course, have an infinite number of VPs in a construction- one for each set of parallel lines- but you aren't ever going to see a bunch of boxes which have some sides sharing a VP and there other sides going to random VPs. Whenever you do constructions, make sure they are correct.

Also, bear in mind that placing VPs too close together will create a warped perspective. They need to be spaced properly. My favorite book for perspective is Perspective for Comic Book Artists by David Chelsea, check it out! Another good one is Ernest Norling's Perspective Made Easy. Also, check out Scott Robertson, he kicks ass for learning freehand perspective.

Some of your boxes have near-far plane issues, but since you are starting Draw a Box you'll be learning all about drawing boxes LOL. Just get started, much of what I know I learned from Draw a Box. ^^ BTW, what kind of pencil is that? I thought it might be a lead holder but the tip looks too thin.

Thank you dude, i'm gonna look for those books right away, i know almost nothing of perspective  and i feel i need to improve a lot in this area , thanks for the tips.
And yes the drawabox site is sooooooo awesome i'm doing the homeworks for the first lesson as we speak, i think i'm gonna post in the sketchbook when i'm done. :D

Thanks for the wecome, really.
Quote:Thank you dude, i'm gonna look for those books right away, i know almost nothing of perspective and i feel i need to improve a lot in this area , thanks for the tips.
And yes the drawabox site is sooooooo awesome i'm doing the homeworks for the first lesson as we speak, i think i'm gonna post in the sketchbook when i'm done. :D

I alreaaaady saw your stuff! Great work dude. :) And I hope those perspective books help you out, it's such an important subject. Scott Robertson has a book out now called How to Draw you may want to check out. I'm studying his Gnomon vid on Basic Perspective Form Sketching, it's awesome. I think he covers the same material in both. I recommend the video, but I have not gotten to read the book. It look awesome though. ^^

No problem man, it's fun for me too!

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
(02-03-2016, 01:40 PM)Sagittarius-A-star Wrote:
Quote:Thank you dude, i'm gonna look for those books right away, i know almost nothing of perspective  and i feel i need to improve a lot in this area , thanks for the tips.

I alreaaaady saw your stuff! Great work dude. :) And I hope those perspective books help you out, it's such an important subject. Scott Robertson has a book out now called How to Draw you may want to check out. I'm studying his Gnomon vid on Basic Perspective Form Sketching, it's awesome. I think he covers the same material in both. I recommend the video, but I have not gotten to read the book. It look awesome though. ^^

No problem man, it's fun for me too!

Thanks for looking at my stuff! :D I have this How to draw book, i'm gonna give a look in it and see if i can find this video, so far i have been lucky to find stuff in the interwebs lol.

Thanks again and let's do this! \o/
Quote:Thanks for looking at my stuff! :D I have this How to draw book, i'm gonna give a look in it and see if i can find this video, so far i have been lucky to find stuff in the interwebs lol.

Thanks again and let's do this! \o/

Awesome, the book should do you fine. : ) The video is Basic Perspective Form Drawing, you can find at the Gnomon website here- http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ But it is a bit pricey, whether you choose to buy the vid or go with a Gnomon subscription. I want to get myself a Gnomon subscription so I can watch ALL the Scott Robertson vids sometime.

There are torrents of it to be found in the interwebz too, but that's not legit of course. Of course art students are often broke and as long as you do buy the legit download later... well yeah. ^^

And yes, let's do this!! :D

Sketchbook!