Crimson Daggers — Art forum
BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: TOURNAMENTS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-71.html)
+--- Forum: THE CRIMSON CRUCIBLE (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: BLOODSPORTS FINALS/WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+----- Forum: BLOODSPORTS WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+----- Thread: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! (/thread-2643.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Cairn - 03-30-2013

noodles and studies

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Vinicius Capiotti - 03-30-2013

Just posting some more sketches (properly scanned now). Gonna start the paintings and hopefully finish them on time.

Just a question: would tattoos be acceptable in the same logic as the armor or clothing?

[Image: 2rp7mae.jpg]

[Image: 308xmap.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Amit Dutta - 03-30-2013

Hey daggers, I thought this post on gold rendering by the masters was kind of interesting. Basically darker values than what you would expect for all, and highlights at least 3 value steps above the darks. Could be applied to armour and metals fairly similarly I would expect:

how-old-masters-created-look-of-gold-in

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Vablo - 03-30-2013

Damn you guys, so much win here. Really cool stuff everybody, just wow.

I'm not sure if I can push this through because of work and schoolstuff, but I'll give it a go anyway. So my creature of choice is one of the most awesome animals on the planet, which is of course platypus! :D

Here is a reference sheet and some design/compositional ideas, I try to use the remaining time for color/material studies and of course finishing the images.

My WIP studies so far. - Pondor - 03-30-2013

Here we go, my first bloodsports challenge WIPs

[Image: 2mnnekl.jpg]

Beast Masters - ideation/exploration - eizOga - 03-30-2013

Wow - late to the party but really want to give this a go - already so much inspiration in everyone's work!

Stayed focused on ideation and visual development.

Going ferral for this - kind of a big cat (tiger/lion) or hyena/wolf mash up - classic I Know, but made sense under such a short deadline as I'm just coming of a fan art piece for LMS -Ronin's who's a werewolf.

see current dev for that piece HERE -

Inspired by the Kurgan from Highlander & Mulan's Khan version - big, broad shouldered, cat like facial & demeanour - wild air. I still want him to feel heroic - so I kept everything more symmetrical - also easier in time delay.

I also wanted more of a tie in between the cards - don't like how a lot of the dual cards out there don't have a cohesive thread outside of the character. So trying to match the background/location or tie posing/actions together - before & after style. Also placing emphasis on a minor "story" element - once morphed into beast - the armour is represented in an amulet each beast master must carry in beast form. Lose that, and you remain in beast form until you slowly are taken over by the "inner beast." So all the advanced cards show the end of the transformation with some lighting emphasis on the medallion.

I posted the base card comps and advanced card comps separately, and then as likely parings - still having a hard time choosing which paring to illustrate, though I'm partial to the first - #2 & A.

Also posted my first set of roughs for character design - as well as the close to final armour variants.

Nest step some studies - specially more Viking type armour - wanted to incorporate some of that shape language and design patterns. Might just finish the design stuff as I paint up the illustrations.

Wishing everyone drive and focus in the coming week!

NOTE - didn't wanna go traditional route and have a lion head on a breast plate or wolf heads on the shoulders - thought a more abstract/stylised design across the armour might be more interesting. Despite the semi Kraven the Hunter phase, I think the armour variant designs achieve that and still read well enough.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Sprayah - 03-30-2013

Great work everyone, very inspiring. Watch out Caesar, the daggers are back!
Here are a few more studies, mostly chasing the silhouette around in circles. I started looking at crows, then lobsters then scorpions but now I am leaning towards a praying mantis, mostly because they look less ridiculous in human armour form.

[Image: EDgm4gB.jpg]

[Image: C3QX7hv.jpg]

[Image: 9IcaCwc.jpg]

[Image: dA1SeTJ.jpg]

Daggers!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Danar - 03-31-2013

so i worked a bit on 3 thumbnales i liked the most , which one do you guys thinks is the strongest?[Image: 3finalcompositions.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Royugang - 03-31-2013

Hello everybody,

Decided to make some more studies of the elements found in my artworks. Hopefully, ill be able to gain the confidence to finish my entries.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - eizOga - 03-31-2013

Nice Danar - your second is definitely the moodiest - and I guess it does depend on the mood you want - that one is pretty mysterious so it's nice. That said all three are a little static (from a visual language perspective - not necessarily concerning the pose itself) The centre one has some nice shapes in the comp to give it visual interest and "movement" - your first has some overlap and lighting that could help show more 3D form - but the mood is very different.
#1 & #2 I'd say are the strongest, then pick which ever matches the feeling you want to come across about your character. Nice work!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Pondor - 03-31-2013

(03-31-2013, 12:12 AM)Danar Wrote: so i worked a bit on 3 thumbnales i liked the most , which one do you guys thinks is the strongest?[Image: 3finalcompositions.jpg]

I like the first one, a better sense of movement and possibly story.

thanks guys and yeah i think im going for the first one indeed more movement and i can do some cool stuff with lighting i hope:P!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Kamiru - 03-31-2013

[Image: iT77LyvMuVAnR.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Victor Quaresma - 03-31-2013

Heyy, just some comp sketches I've been struggling alot with and some gesture studies for aerial poses, for the advanced comp

For now I'll go for the last 2 comps , normal and advanced cards respectively, the first one being the 3 kids like hangin around together, pickpocketing and stealing fruits and stuff on a market. And the advanced one being the animal forms (foxes) jumping out of a window with some stolen goods/ chest , not sure yet what.

Let's keep the hard work going guys!

here are 2 studies for my human character, I wanted him to be some kind of african ish , and his armor is made out of leather so i need to do some studies on that 2!

[Image: study2425.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Markus - 03-31-2013

This is gonna get tough!
I'm trying to tie in the human form with beastly qualities without being too obvious. This guy enjoys... hey during breaks.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Veer - 03-31-2013

Putting down some creature scribblels-going to do some concepts over those soon

Choosing some of the creature silhouettes...

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - wayfar - 03-31-2013

I got too attached to the initial idea and ended up wasting a lot of time :(

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - la1uc - 03-31-2013

Hey guys!

So I didn’t do as much drawing today as I wanted. My back kinda started to hurt (and my arm) so instead I did more thinking this time. Here are final choices of compositions though. Don’t really want to complicate too much since there isn’t much time left. And I think I’m gonna go with the last two thumbs. Tomorrow the refining starts! Excited!

and a couple of studies.

[Image: tumblr_mki78pUPsA1rlavnuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mki78pUPsA1rlavnuo2_1280.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - podcod - 03-31-2013

Gonna add my composition studies and attempts to the mix.
Great stuff Daggers!