Crimson Daggers — Art forum
BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: TOURNAMENTS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-71.html)
+--- Forum: THE CRIMSON CRUCIBLE (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: BLOODSPORTS FINALS/WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+----- Forum: BLOODSPORTS WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+----- Thread: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! (/thread-2643.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - jeshields - 03-31-2013

So, I was going to take a break from this challenge... but then I read it and it perfectly fit an IP I had in my head that I had yet to conceptualize. So here is my WIP.

[Image: backlitwings.jpg]
[Image: eaglehead.jpg]
[Image: feathery.jpg]
[Image: headconcepts.jpg]
[Image: concepts.jpg]
[Image: posesw.jpg]
[Image: posecomps4.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Cairn - 03-31-2013

Heres and idea for the beast. His name is Dragonfucker

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Veer - 04-01-2013

getting closer to the final creature design. Honestly, I don't think i'm going to finish this challenge.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - NemanjaS - 04-01-2013

Weapons done. Moved on to thumbs. Reading up on composition from the master Andrew Loomis. Since these are card art i wanted to make sure that they read at stamp size so i started out like this. Not completly satisfied, could use few pointers if anybody is up for it. Also i don't want to be an asshole who doesn't share in the work and helping out others but seeing how there are so many of you guys, and quite a few of you are a class above me, if you think that you could benefit from my crit of your work , drop me a PM and i will do my best to help out. Cheers

Also heres a link for all A.L. books.

http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew%20Loomis.rar

[Image: thumbs.jpg]

[Image: bw+thumbs+1.jpg]

[Image: weapons.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - andreitabacaru - 04-01-2013

I've finished the concept for the weapons, with 4 weapon type variants: dual wielded warhammers, dual wielded tusk sickles, a simple spear and a long halberd. This was my first time making weapons, so it took a lot of time to do it. Hope I'll have enough time to finish the illustrations. Keep up the good work, everybody.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Sprayah - 04-01-2013

I'm still messing with silhouettes! My brain squirms to avoid the dreaded day of rendering :-)

I found this template editor for magic cards called Magic Set Editor.

http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

It is pretty easy to set up and comes with text fields ready to go but it only outputs at rats arse quality :-(

[Image: 2MkmPFv.jpg]

[Image: ssDZSYB.jpg]

Daggers!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Royugang - 04-01-2013

Thanks for sharing man!!! This will come in handy! I tested some of the template and its awesome!!!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Warburton - 04-01-2013

Really cool ideas still follow here, it's pretty awesome to watch

Think i'm more or less done with my first version, out of time :S
[Image: wip3_zps15cc9a37.jpg]

sketch for second which i want more action based. I have till Wednesday to finish it, wish me luck lol.
[Image: secondwip1_zpsc0f7a643.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - NemanjaS - 04-01-2013

Progres on the human form card. Hopefully i'll be able to finish it tomorrow . The background is beyond crappy but with this time frame i don't dare do anything more exciting...

[Image: cardhuman.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - sixspade - 04-01-2013

@ monkeybread: thanks man, I took your advice. I thought there was something wrong with them, I mean I wanted them to be ram-like, top heavy, since all the strenght has to go in the head, but they were way off.

Made some modifications to the main characters, also changed the last armor to be more unitary with the rest of the outfit, added some weapons and decided on the proportions and variations for the beast form.

[Image: axeconceptsbloodsports14var2_zpsd7cd264e.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - rbeek - 04-01-2013

Oh Hi! :)
Here's some of the steps i took so far, need to get some more done to get the final version look proper :)

My dude is secretly a massive pandawarrior who just explodes into this big fluffy furry panda when he gets mad.. u see.. :)

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Zesiul - 04-02-2013

You are all just pushing it more and more. Super impressed.

I'm just starting my comps now. But here are some studies and sketches that brought me to this point since my last post.
I haven't updated in awhile, thought I might wait until friday and just have a huge release, but seeing as I'm just starting the final piece I may as well show all the studies I did to get to it!

[Image: Lion_Design2_March_29_2013.png]
[Image: transformation_March28_2013.png]
[Image: IMG_4283.jpg]
[Image: Poses_March_28_2013.png]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - croker - 04-02-2013

Super rough sketches:

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - NemanjaS - 04-02-2013

Almost done with the human. A few finishing touches tomorrow and i can move on to the beast and hopefully make it in time. So many cool works you guys, rbeek duude that is one sweeeet panda warrior!

[Image: cardhuman1.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - EduardoGaray - 04-02-2013

damn, deathline is almost here!

But i will make it, who needs sleep when you have gourmet coffee.

Wasnt really happy with the first idea, so i went for a more Battlemage/Warlock type of character.

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - cosmixy - 04-02-2013

So here's a short sketch session inspired by this comp. I wont be finishing it but thought I'd share! It's a humanish(ended up being foreveralone?) person that turns into a fish person. And what better sort of fish than the Betta that are always kept alone in those tiny little cups at pet stores?
Yes, that episode of spongebob was on the TV when I started sketching

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Simonarpalmer - 04-02-2013

Raging Rhino, Lion Lacerator, err Pounding Panda, Biting Bukanawa, and so many more endlessly awesome Beastmasters! Haha :-D
This challenge sure is exhausting, but I feel a lot less stress at this point, got several days to make adjustments and fine rendering still. I've been doing some studies of various elements in my pieces, using a lot of diffrent texture brushes to find ways to get some texture in. So far the most useful one I have found is a hard edge, speckly, "scratchy" brush.

My studies so far

Human form WIP

Beast form WIP

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - Mr. Toodles - 04-02-2013

here is a definition of the symbolization of the animal I have decided to use for beast master

"VULTURE - denotes greedy and aggressive individuals, usually with overeating. They are considered prophetic because they followed marching armies and appeared always three days before a great battle. It symbolizes the Virgin Mary because it does not sit on it's own eggs."

the battle bit won me over

Here are my plans for the two pieces.

The human form will be in a perched state with his coveted goods in his sight at all times, and *nest* on his back where he keeps his spoils of war and anything he chooses to take

The animal form will be attacking a caravan with more stuff the vulture desires I will be keeping his coveted goods (a treasure chest and a huge belt around his stomach/chest region) in both pieces, as well as feathers flying everywhere to have some relationship between stuff

refs and ideas are below

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - JabyReART - 04-02-2013

Hi Daggers!
I can see a lot of good work in here, awesome!, I was quite busy this week...here is some of my sketches and first approaches to the characters, I will try to find some interesting pose for the photo...
My beast is a bulldog, Pachycefalosaurus and Saichania...tooo much fun to create such a beast! hope finish it on time!

RE: BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters! - andreitabacaru - 04-02-2013

Hey guys. I've picked the beast form composition, but I can't really decide on what I'm going to go with in the second illustration.
In the first sketch (no.1), the character's pose is like what you would see on your typical planeswalker card: mostly frontal, mostly full body, not much movement involved, so you can see the character better and also read the details on the armor and clothes better;
meanwhile, on the second sketch (even if i haven't added the armor yet) there's not much room to show any of the armor, which kind of is the point of this challenge. The advantage of this one is that is shows forward movement, just like a boar charging, similar to that of the beast form on the third sketch; and he also hold some kind o boar tusk sickle things, which even if they aren't considered armor, (cuz they're weapons, duh) can make you think: hey, that really relates with the beast form, since the tusks are the boar's weapons...
So, if any of you could please give me some friendly advice, I'd be honored. Thanks.