Pixel Dojo
Welcome to my pixel dojo!

I am a hobbyist and draw mostly people. Sometimes in Photoshop, sometimes with ink, sometimes for my b/w comic.
I still have a lot to improve so I opened this sketchbook to have a place to go to and figuere stuff out for myself. 

Feel free to sit back and look through the drawings! 

C&C is welcome, too! 

- Kaiko

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Kaiko, and welcome to CD. These are a couple of very good starts to your process. At the moment I can only suggest to work on something as long as you think you can into completion. Some would argue, myself included, that these are all more like works in progress, and it's difficult to critique something we're not sure is a closer depiction of your capabilities.

Keep posting, and if there's anything specific you need help with, just ask and the Daggers will answer.

Yep welcome to Crimson Daggers Kaiko :).

I like your paintings here - particularly the red glints on the girl.

I agree with RottenPocket about the unfinished feel of these pieces - while they are nicely structured and the anatomy looks good it would be nice to see more of your completed works.

Keep posting - looking forward to more from you :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Thank you very much @Artloader and @RottenPocket for your warm welcome! 

I see your point with the completion of my works. The finished look is something, that I am really struggling with. Probably patience is one thing. The other is the big insecurities with detail work. Just last year I really dived into fundamentals like perspective and more importantly values, that helped me to understand a lot more about lightning and thus rendering. I am slowly applying it to my work now as it sinks into my head over time. The studies/ speedpaints above are part of the first practices I did after the value exercises on simple objects and helped me to gain a bit of confidence in these new skills. 

Thank you RottenPocket for the tip of going as far into completion as I can. I think this is a good "mantra" for my next pieces. I'll try to apply it to my next works starting with this study. Let's see how much I can polish it. So far my progress is this (incl. ref = last picture).

Attached Files Image(s)

Great start to your sketchbook, Kaiko. With your latest study, pay closer attention to anatomy and proportions. Don't be afraid to constantly measure your work against the reference image, paying close attention to the size of the head in comparison to the body. I also suggest watching Proko's anatomy videos on youtube as a good introduction into learning anatomy more in depth.

Keep up the good work :)

@chubbycat Thank you very much for your comment! Prokos videos are very helpful! Sadly I can't affort the pro-membership for more details on the anatomy, but I use Michael Hamptons book on anatomy as supplement. I feel like learning works well with this combination. :) 

I have also updated my photo study a bit. I am far beyond my usual time spent on an image, but I can still find small things to improve here and there, which I think is good. Though I am unsure on how to finish now. I feel like I want to a few more artistic touches, but since this is a photo study I should stay as close with the images as possible!? I am not sure...

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Kaiko.

Quote:Though I am unsure on how to finish now. I feel like I want to a few more artistic touches, but since this is a photo study I should stay as close with the images as possible!? I am not sure...

Making it look like the original photo as humanly possible seems to be all the rage these days! Or, if you're still in doubt, observe how other people do it. Take a few of the pieces you like, from old master paintings or current ones, and try to identify what makes them interesting in the first place. Observe how they finish their pieces. From that, you might get an idea how to finish yours.

Good luck! Keep moving!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
It's a study! You don't have to finish this piece as close as possible to reference. The purpose of studies is to learn, not to finish. First, ask yourself - why am i doing this study. After this question you'll know what to do. Studies for the sake of studies is lame.

I agree with John that it's a good idea to look at master art and use some of their techniques for a photo study. I use it sometimes as well. And Anton's remark is to the point.
Proko lessons are awesome, even without premium membership they are a great help, for me personally some stuff in anatomy books some stuff can be unclear but perfectly understandable after watching same topics on Proko channel.

Thank you @John, @Anton_Fort and @neopatogen for your very helpful feedback! 

@Anton_Fort: I see where you are coming from and I totally subscribe to your great feedback here. Your advice on studies actually reminds me of this great video about studies by Anthony Jones I have watched a while ago. I think in addition to your feedback I should watch it again myself as a reminder for my own practice. :) 

I will also give prokos videos a proper go now. ( I watched only a handful of episodes before). Maybe it can help me to improve a specific aspect of my paintings/ rudimentary style, that I want to stress more in future. 

At last two studies I did, while thinking about your input. My goal here was achieve a better overal understanding of the anatomy of the face after doing a few separated studies of eyes, nose, mouth, facial muscles etc. last year.

That's it for today! And thank you very much again for your very helpful input!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, beautiful studies! Especially the Ben Whishaw one, he's such a cutie. I also love the way you paint hair, with all that texture and stuff.. but I think you should focus first on form, like for example most of the studies here have very detailed skin texture, but lack the subtle value transitions. Try studying sculptures or death masks (yeah, creepy, lmao, but it helps), do some still lifes, always ask yourself which part is darker etc. And of course squinting! It makes the value differences more obvious, so yeah, squint a lot
(02-04-2017, 03:39 AM)vennsomn Wrote: Hey, beautiful studies! Especially the Ben Whishaw one, he's such a cutie. I also love the way you paint hair, with all that texture and stuff.. but I think you should focus first on form, like for example most of the studies here have very detailed skin texture, but lack the subtle value transitions. Try studying sculptures or death masks (yeah, creepy, lmao, but it helps), do some still lifes, always ask yourself which part is darker etc. And of course squinting! It makes the value differences more obvious, so yeah, squint a lot

Thank you very much for your feedback!
I'll definitely try to follow your advice and do some studies
from statues as soon as I am done with Prokos videos! 
[Post 1/2] 

Few it's been a year and a half... Well. I did look at a lot at proko videos and learned a ton from them! Thank you for pointing it out, chubbycat! I also did a few statue studies, but they are too embrassing to show right now. After that I kinda went a bit off-road and really enjoyed just drawing my comic for a while. Now 268 pages later I kinda realized I haven't had this much fun with drawing, just doing it just for myself and really connecting to it again. It was a really refreshing year, yet also very challenging one as the comic is pushing me out of my comfort zone A LOT. lol. (I've attached some pages for you to look at below.) But this challenge helped me to grow a bit to, I think. 

Thankfully I also received some really helpful, constructive feedback, too, that I now try to incorporate into future pages. 
  • more clean inking
  • using highlights for black clothes/ hair/ etc.
  • improve anatomy and perspective
  • avoid jumping over the camera axis

I also have put a book called "framed ink" on my reading list atm which looks very helpful, too. So much about the comic...

Attached Files Image(s)

[Post 2/2]

However the digital side of my paintings skills suffered a bit during that year (because I worked 95% traditionally at the comic.) It's only been more recently that I occasionally tried to do a bit of digital painting again (when I had a bit of time left aside from the comic and my dayjob.)

I am aware I still need to work on my values a lot and take the the time to smooth things out. Anatomy is still a big weakness, too. Plus many more things. For now I am very happy though I could build a bit of confidence in my drawings again (after many years without it) and a bit of an artistic foundation/ style that I plan to build and improve on in the future - by tackling one weakness step by step, then another weakness... etc. 

So much for my current development... I plan to do a bit of small paintings again in the next days. Let's see how its going to work out.

Attached Files Image(s)

I really like your environnement there really life like but be careful with the brush with bird don't over do it.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from is own error.