Why You Crazy?!?!
My, it has been quite a while since I posted on here last! I've been sequestered into an art hole, only emerging to make political commentary on Twitter and Facebook! And sporadically at best, haha.

I've been feeling kinda down about my work lately, and thought it would be good to try and think of it positively, so I thought it was time to make an update and see if I've actually met the goals I had earlier this year!

Updates!

Mirage
  • I have currently drawn and colored 27 pages of the monstrosity, and have two more pages inked and sitting behind me. I'll be coloring them for the remainder of this week. There are only 2 pages left to draw/color, and then I'll have completed the prologue and the first chapter. My goal is to have Chapter 2 finished before I begin posting it online. 
  • When I post the comic online in February, I'll begin updating 1 page a week.
  • I submitted the comic in September to Creators for Creators. The contest closed on November 1st. Not sure when/if I will hear back.
  • I'm currently drawing the comic at a rate of 2 pages a week. It's rough, but not impossible at this pace (since I have a full time job and a long commute).
  • I've decided that I love drawing the comic, but the pay scale in the future is getting to me. I make nothing on the comic right now, but I'm hoping to set up a Patreon account with goodies like recordings of every page being colored, as well as access to companion stories and "grimoire" type things I've been writing for years, describing the world of Mirage. I'm also thinking that, if I receive enough on Patreon, I'll start updating with more pages a week. I was also thinking of posting full chapters online before the end of the comic to see if that would bring in some money, but I'm worried about spoilers, people pirating, that sort of thing. Viva, my test comic on Tapastic, has pulled in $.05 since August, and it has 80 subscribers.
  • I know the industry is a slow burn, and Comics don't make a whole lot of money, especially indie comics. I also don't really know or talk to anyone in the industry, though I'm trying to find more people to talk to. I follow and talk to a few creators on Twitter, and I'm hoping to find some comics related groups to join on Facebook and elsewhere. So I'm hoping things will look brighter next February when all of this stuff goes live. I'm just feeling kinda anxious and down about it right now because I'm putting so much work in.
But anyway, here's a screenie of all the pages so far!

Animation
  • So, I finished my goal of 24 animations in 24 weeks! :D And I've done a few more things in addition to that! I will link them below~
  • I joined a motion graphics meetup and have decided that I freaking LOVE it. Animation of a different kind, but still animation. And profitable! The people at that meetup were the most professional I've met in a long time, and I want to be them. Sadly, they only meet up once a month, but all of their meetings are so good; talking about show reels and freelance, totally removed from the self-absorbed, terribly organized meetups I've been to before.
  • Only trouble is... I'm so busy, and this is an intensive skill. I have very little experience with it, and just barely enough equipment.
  • I was thinking of doing some pro-bono explainer book trailer work for a few author friends to try and train up for it. But I also have the comic and my novel to finish. I don't want to stretch too thin, so have to balance.
Videos! (OMG the compilation is so cheesy I'm so sorry)

Right now, none of my artwork is making a profit except my day job. I'm hoping that this is going to change soon, because I feel a little trapped, and kinda overworked and hungry. Day job covers the bills, but just barely, and still can't afford health insurance yet. There's also the matter of getting health  to balance to... which, sadly, has not progressed at all D:

Bah, real life ramblings! :) But I'm still working on the goals I set out in July, so I'm really proud of that! Just gotta keep it up through the busy holidays!

I hope everyone is also doing well here... Hope you're making awesome art!

DeviantArt YouTube | My Books and Comics

[url=http://arapersonica.deviantart.com/][/url]

Messages In This Thread
Why You Crazy?!?! - by Arapersonica - 05-10-2016, 05:12 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Piotr Jasielski - 05-10-2016, 05:54 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Arapersonica - 05-11-2016, 01:32 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Artloader - 05-11-2016, 02:51 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by smrr - 05-11-2016, 08:28 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Arapersonica - 05-15-2016, 07:08 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Arapersonica - 05-15-2016, 07:25 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Arapersonica - 06-17-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: Why You Crazy?!?! - by Amit Dutta - 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM