Pekoe's Lively Book of Death (๑•͈ᴗ•͈)◞
Because my abandoned sketchbook was called "Shen's Deathbook" and in the end, it really is dead... :(  I will try to keep this one alive.

Been trying to plan out how I will be posting online so I may do a lot of edits.

Also just got my scanner functioning so I'll try to experiment with efficient ways of using it for posting and polishing traditional work.

------------------------------

I've been mainly doing anatomy related work for almost a year now at school, so I decided to try working on an environment when my teacher for a digital painting class told us to do a study of a picture starting from a dark mass:

[Image: JRcb1RJ.png]

I'm waiting for a new laptop to arrive tomorrow. It should have a better screen so I can see the difference between blues and greens better. Currently having a hard time seeing a difference between the top and bottom image even though I calibrated my laptop screen. On my phones, the difference is very obvious.

This study really made me notice how inefficient I am at generating noise for details, like for windows, cars in the background, etc. I'll fiddle with some things for long periods of time before I realize that I could have given a similar impression with just a single stroke.

Also trying to use more solid brushes to render forms in one shot instead of using a very soft/low opacity brush and build up a form. It takes too long and makes things muddy, so I end up going over it with a solid brush anyways after finding the right colour/value that I was guessing.

-----------------------------------

A study of a mannequin for the first week of a digital character painting class with the same instructor as the one above. This was from a few weeks ago. Top is my life study in class. Bottom is a quick paint over by my instructor after the class was over.

[Image: ynlLelm.png]

[Image: KuaqNcM.jpg]

The next one is also from the same character painting class. 

[Image: HULKcv4.png]

The model had a strong red light to his left and a yellow light to his right. I was sitting dead on to his left so I couldn't see much of his other side. The reds still lacked that extra push in terms of saturation when I compare my laptop's screen to the colours on the model, but it came pretty close to what I saw. Once I viewed it on my phone, though, it looked way too oversaturated. :( Again, hoping a better screen will help a bit with consistency. 

...I also gave the poor model T-Rex eyes... ;o;

This is the instructor's paint over.

[Image: 3kLJpDt.jpg]

The instructor wasn't there during the class to see the model in person unfortunately as something showed up, but he did give me some pointers afterwards during his time on how to improve the painting overall as an art piece rather than just a transfer of something we see in life.

I need to work on edges a lot more. One thing I kind of lack is pushing the few parts that I want to be sharp to be extra sharp, and the parts I want to be soft to be extra soft. It's something that can be easily done digitally as I can soften as much as I want without fear of losing my work, and the lasso tool can push the edge down to the pixel. The teacher from another digital painting class (who substituted my teacher when he had to leave for a week) pointed this out and said selectively using this should help greatly in giving a rough painting a polished look.

----------------------------------------

This piece was first a project on values. The instructor told us to do a value study of a greyscale painting he posted. The second week, he talked about colour and our homework was to add any colour we want to the painting ourselves. I didn't update the photo after the critique yet, but it's mainly some things to tweak about the face. I was trying to balance the photo's colours by comparing it to my phone. It didn't really end up the way I wanted, but it was better than how it was straight from my laptop. 

[Image: H8WClb3.jpg]

-------------------------------------

I also picked up watercolour this month for some reason... D:

Here are the first watercolour paintings of me life~

[Image: Ito3xiu.jpg]

...watercolour is impossible to control... (>;v;)>

--------------------------------------------------

That's pretty much the end of my first dump post. Going to try and experiment with different formats and see how it goes. I hope this forum can also be a place where I can experiment with different ways of posting and get some feedback before I start to setup an online page.

Thanks so much for reading my gibberish. 

Cheers! o(^_^)b

Pekoe

-----------------------------------------------------

Currently listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdS3tt_xy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DboMAghWcA

Messages In This Thread
Pekoe's Lively Book of Death (๑•͈ᴗ•͈)◞ - by Orange Pekoe - 02-27-2017, 06:59 AM
Orange Pekoe - by Orange Pekoe - 03-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Orange Pekoe - by Orange Pekoe - 03-14-2017, 03:55 PM
RE: Pekoe's Lively Book of Death - by John - 03-15-2017, 01:59 AM
Orange Pekoe - by Orange Pekoe - 03-15-2017, 02:19 PM