hellllooo
Quote:
Quote: Wrote:This line of work seems pretty hairy

How so?

It's just that it doesn't conform to the typical job structure and it's mostly freelancing with little pay. Your average job is one where you get a degree, get chartered, get in at a firm or a company or whatever, work your way up to management. That's at least the image currently fostered in my 17 year old mind right now. Freelancing also seems iffy. Lot's of paperwork involved between you and the client and you have all this copyright business too. Also, I need a day job to get myself off the ground and I need to be able to zealously market myself and build a following or it'll flop. I've heard illustration and comic books is like being a one man business: you are the accountant, the artist, the marketing director, the distributor, the publisher etc. 

Quote:If by 'resolve' you mean that feeling you get when drawing that you seem to be in your element, sure I do. But that hardly counts as resolve. 'Resolve' is a word reserved to describe a thing you need do rather than the thing you want to do. Have you ever said to yourself that you'd rather play video games instead than just draw? Or go out with friends, or watch Youtube, or anything else besides making art?

When things get tough, when things don't line up the way you wanted it, that's probably a good time to assess if you do have resolve.

We seem to have different meanings attached to the word. For me resolve is something set in stone by a firm decision you have made yourself. When you feel beaten down it acts as a buffer and you get a surge of willpower to go back.
I have felt like doing other things instead of doing art when I've felt really despondent. I've had dumb teenage existential crises aplenty. But, I've managed to pull myself out of those and from them they've helped me figure out what I am doing really means to me. I'm sure there are more to come though!

Quote:All I'm saying, you are young. Darting hobby to hobby is probably a good thing to do at your age and there's nothing wrong with it. You don't want to be stuck with doing something out of stubbornness, which in turn, regretting the stuff you wish you'd do while you still have your youth. Then again, who am I to say what you should do!

Well since when were kids supposed to listen to adults anyway? HAH! I've been told all sorts of things. My parents aren't on board with me on my dream. Neither is anyone at school really. But the best way to learn is to do it. I can't live by other people's opinions. I'm sick of it. Either way, when I look back at my youth when I am 30-something I might regret that I didn't spend my youth following my passion. I'm going to follow my heart. I'm not choosing my path out of fear of regret. Stubbornness isn't necessarily a bad thing. Merely a trait that precipitates both strength and weakness.
I truly want to excel in something. I feel an alignment with art - it's hard to explain. I think I've found my passion. I'm just going to go for it. A method is a method. I don't see art as a solution. It's just another path to life and an interesting one where my heart lies at that.

Quote:Go do whatever! But most importantly, start posting your work!

'Go do whatever' - words to live by!
Yup. I have a fear of sharing my art. I need to crack it. So I'll start posting right away.

[Image: uOBOztR.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
hellllooo - by Schwing - 06-29-2017, 05:31 AM
RE: hellllooo - by John - 06-29-2017, 11:32 PM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 06-30-2017, 05:09 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Artloader - 06-30-2017, 10:28 PM
RE: hellllooo - by John - 07-01-2017, 12:05 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-01-2017, 02:36 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-01-2017, 02:58 AM
RE: hellllooo - by procxied - 07-10-2017, 03:16 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM