hellllooo
Quote:I found this forum via a blogpost. Looks like most of you are pros working in the industry which is really awesome. And it's really awesome because I'm a 17 year old kid from the UK who's a pretty mediocre artist who wants to make dope as fuck comic books! I'm determined to improve and get a running start with all this.

Eyyy, same age buddy what's up xD! Same here but with concept art. 

Quote:The art world seems to not conform to the linearity I have seen from most conventional careers I've been exposed to.

I'm curious, what do you mean by this?
Wait I just read your reply nvm. I guess so, I'm not too certain about comic books, but for concept art you can work in house as well and be full time. 

Quote:I haven't always wanted to be a comic book artist. Ever since I was about 15 I've had it in my head that I'd be an engineer. I got the GCSEs. I came out with A* in maths physics and A in design technology. I got a scholarship fund. I chose full STEM for my A level background.

One day it just hit me. I had some sort of transcendental epiphany or some shit. I kid you not! I was feeling despondent about my future. Thinking about what I really want out of it. I can rationalise for life but the fact of the matter is I'm just a kid who hasn't experienced the world yet. And I want to experience it in the best way I possibly can.

I'm going to follow my heart and see where it leads me. Pursuing this dream gives me a feeling I've never felt before - concrete resolve. It's something there no matter what and I can draw strength from it any time.

I can relate pretty well. I grew up in a family and with a group of friends who really valued academic success with pretty much everyone around me working/aiming for STEM field jobs. I'm mostly A's but I'm definitely not getting any scholarships LMAO with my last semester grades. 
I 100% support you if this is really what you want to do. I kinda feel you on people not really agreeing with your choice D:. I find though, if you show others how serious you are about something they usually are ok with it. I'm not sure but it sounds like only recently you've decided on this path. I think you should spend some time deciding the details to your plan in terms of education. 

Good luck man!

Messages In This Thread
hellllooo - by Schwing - 06-29-2017, 05:31 AM
RE: hellllooo - by John - 06-29-2017, 11:32 PM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 06-30-2017, 05:09 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Artloader - 06-30-2017, 10:28 PM
RE: hellllooo - by John - 07-01-2017, 12:05 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-01-2017, 02:36 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-01-2017, 02:58 AM
RE: hellllooo - by procxied - 07-10-2017, 03:16 AM
RE: hellllooo - by Schwing - 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM