Can't figure out how to improve
(05-08-2020, 12:00 PM)Forsaken Pluto Wrote: I don't think I'm thinking of an underpainting cause thats just one overall tone and possibly just some shadow shapes thinly put in I thought. I've seen Noah Bradley and others put in colors that aren't there say when putting in a cliff with sand dirt, rocks etc.Situations where theres no discernable evidence of a particular local color but it get massed and built up and the end result leaves no traces of the initial colors put down.Which leaves me wonder what am I looking for what questions can I ask other than the properties of a specific plane or object. Maybe that is underpainting just not what I thought of.

An underpainting with one tone and some shadow shapes put in would be more typical for traditional art; some even do underpaintings with 3 or more values laid out. In digital art, though, I think people normally just pick 1 color that they think plays nice with the rest of the colors to make a flat underpainting, maybe with a minimal composition sketched in. That's probably what Noah Bradley was doing, or it may have been completely arbitrary, just to make a shape to fill in.

(05-08-2020, 12:00 PM)Forsaken Pluto Wrote: Perspective I really want to be able to do draft views of anything.Because then any view of a character or landscape is possible. For interesting scenes in comics. But I get what your saying and your right.

Perspective definitely helps with that, but I suspect that doing it in the way you're thinking of (to make EVERY complex and basic form in the scene accurate) would be so laborious that it wouldn't be worth it. It is a noble thing to attempt, though.

Good luck with your art, and don't hesitate to start that sketchbook.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can't figure out how to improve - by Gliger - 05-07-2020, 11:52 PM
RE: Can't figure out how to improve - by Pubic Enemy - 05-08-2020, 09:35 PM
RE: Can't figure out how to improve - by John - 05-09-2020, 01:07 AM