Please help me finalize this illustration.
There's a lot here that I think is good, and has potential. I like the general idea of it, it's very Romantic, like Romantic period of art. Like it kind of reminds of "Hylas and the Nymphs" by waterhouse. So I think that works. I like the setting of the grotto, and the poses mostly, though I think they can be tweaked. The lighting is interesting, but very dark, and I think it would possibly work if the picture were not of lovers meeting, but a creepy scene.

I agree with Dark that is kinda looks like an ambush scene. I would just work on some of the basics of the image, like the poses, lighting, form, composition, and then come back to some of the nuances of the story.

My suggestions:
-It's hard to have much romantic tension if the two characters aren't even looking towards one another. You could simply make them turn toward each other so it feels like there's some connection between them. They are expecting each other, after all.

-Think about setting a stage. If this was a play, where would you direct the spotlight so the audience knows where to look? Of course a painting doesn't have to have a literal spotlight, but if your audience can't even see the actors, they probably won't appreciate the scene very much. I would send a bright light down to light the two lovers, instead of the glowing flower being the brightest thing. It also highlights the naga's beauty.

-The sword and skull don't seem to symbolize past conflicts or history between them. It seems to symbolize previous heroes that have come down here and been killed! I like the idea, but there might be a better way to include that imagery. The placement of the sword and flower also kind of make them the center of interest, which is why I removed them for now. There was kind of a triangle where the characters are both facing toward the glowing flower, and it's the brightest thing around. 

There's still a lot to do to make a finished image, but with those changes I think the image is more readable from a small size, which is always good. And it changes the read to feel more like they are in love. Hopefully you agree, or at least it gives you some direction one way or another.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help me finalize this illustration. - by JosephCow - 01-27-2024, 06:18 AM