Leg Muscles Study
Hi welcome to the forum!

I'd be happy to give some feedback if you like! I've also been studying the muscles, so It's a good opportunity to refresh my own knowledge as well.

I have a couple resources that could help. I use the book Anatomy for Sculptors. There are pdf's available if you search for it. Plus they post a lot of pages on their artstation right here: https://www.artstation.com/search?sort_b...0sculptors

I use this for diagrams with muscle names and to see artistic simplifications.

And then I also recommend using a 3D reference to visualize what muscles go where. 2D diagrams are super flat and are hard to understand when translating that to a drawing of a posed person, so something like this helps me a lot. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ecorche-...f4ec908d66 this one by chris fischer is really good. It costs money to download, but you can just look at it and rotate it for free.

As for critique, I think you should spend more time sketching the general shapes and form without any specific muscles first! Get the gesture and proportions down first, as this is truly more important, and then it's much easier to divide that into specific muscle groups. On this drawing, the left leg especially doesn't seem very accurate, even though I'm sure you don't intend to make it exactly like the photo. The lower leg is just not really that wide. Spend some time getting the big angles and proportions, and I do a little shading to give it some structure. If this stage feels challenging, it might be that your time is better served working on just those general drawing skills than learning anatomy, though it definitely helps to have that knowledge. Try to think more 3D as well, even if you're doing a line drawing, imagine the lines going around a 3D form, not just a flat shape. I think the very last drawing is the best in this regard.

For the specific muscles, I would label them because it helps your memory, and it clarifies what you do know, and what you don't. Even if you put a question mark next to some muscles, then you know what to look up. Your muscles are generally placed right, but there are some issues with their individual shapes and flow. For example you draw the Sartorius like a really thin string, but it's actually flat and wide more like a belt. Every muscles has a place where it starts, where it ends, and it's own signature shape. Try to study that more and capture both the flow and form of the muscles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Leg Muscles Study - by Flying Ball - 04-18-2024, 02:24 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 04-20-2024, 06:07 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by darktiste - 04-20-2024, 06:26 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 04-20-2024, 11:19 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by Flying Ball - 05-08-2024, 08:11 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 05-09-2024, 04:12 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by darktiste - 05-09-2024, 04:51 AM